Glass vs. Plastic

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

• Plastic

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • Glass

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

QiGongGuy

Reaction score
:? I'm new at this and I'm buying two orchid mantises from Yen (yen_saw). He's very helpful but I want to get opinions from as many people as possible.Should I get glass or plastic cages for them? How big should the cages be? Will I need heaters? Should I put my orchid plants inside?PLEASE HELP!!!

Plastic is best, cheaper and easier to clean and wont break so easily..if you get a heater use a good 'ol heatmat, ive got a 6"x11" one, you can get them in 6"x6" too, they can be use to heat a few tanks, or loads of cups/pots..

Good luck with your orchids!

I use plastic deli cups until they outgrow them then they go into a divided 2 1/2 gallon glass tank. What you house them in is up to you. Unless you keep the room cold you don';t need a heat mat. I keep my mine at normal room temperatures and they do fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
You will find plastic has some advantages, read on.

Be sure to leave enough unobstructed vertical room for molting. A bad molt is the most common reason for loss. Orchids do best on flying food as they wait for the prey to approach, rather than stalk their dinner, so flies are the best inexpensive food source, and easiest to feed. Have a seperate feeding hole with a foam stopper so it is easy to feed without taking the lid off, so you minimize escaping flies, and crushing mantis. Unless you cut glass, plastic is the way to go!!

You can see several plastic containers at my website, www.mantisplace.com

:D QiGongGuy, since you asked and are taking a poll and this is the main business I have been in with hubby for 20 years I feel I need to give what info I can about the different materials here without being to technical.

The different in materials are as follows:

A) Acrylic which is labeled to the general public as (plexiglass) & thicknesses you can buy retail is .100, cracks, breaks, stains easier, warps in direct sunlight, yellows & scratches easily. Is the 2nd least expensive material. Available from hardware stores in .100 of an inch, & sold thru Glass shops in 1/8" increments. So 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 . This is cut with an acrylic knife.

B) Polycarbonate sheet does not break, stands up much better to cleaning & is U.V. Coated to stop yellowing & heat retension which minimizes warpage. This is the most expensive material, but stands up and will outlast longer than all other materials. This is sold only thru a Glass shop such as ours. It is cut with a circular saw. It comes in colors and thickness 1/8" and so on.

C.) Float Glass in 1/8" standard window glass, is naturally breakable, but does not warp, yellow or scratch. It is cut with a glass cutter. (don't ask me to cut it, I still can't :cry: ) This is least expensive material to use.

D). Tempered 1/8" Glass is 8 Xs stronger than standard glass, does not scratch, stain, warp, yellow... virtually no maintaince. This is the 3rd most expensive of the four, but in my opinion is the best bang for the buck to use if you are building your own cages. Also the edges are not sharp so you do not have to worry about getting cut. This has to be ordered to size because you cannot cut it. Tempered glass is cut at the factory and then tempered in an oven.

So if you are building your own Mantis house these are some of the usual materials you can use. Just remember to use a silicon or glue appropiate for living things. Our silicone is used for aquariums and has no mold inhibitor in it. Mold inhibitor is toxic to animals. Check the food and drug website http://www.fda.gov/ for glues suitable for the material you choose to use.

Email me if you need any more info on the above or for pricing on any of the material. I know the silicone is very expensive for a tube on the web. See "others for sale" on what I sell it & the cutters for!

I use containers made of both. I think the only big difference between the two that will affect mantids owners is price.

I have several different set ups that all seem ok.

Wooden framed cages with 3 mesh sides and 2 wood and 1 perspex.

perspex tank with roof and one end made from mesh.

30cm x 30cm x 45cm ext terra teranium with glass sides and polystyerene backing.

120cm x 50cm x 50cm aquarium with mesh lid for ghosts.. they seem fine going up and down the glass in this as well for some reason.

the glass teraniums are cheaper than making your own tanks out of perspex as I discovered.

polystyrene cups i find are very good for nymphs as they allow very good grip and allow livefood to walk up the sides, thats another one for the plasic team
I don't know what kind of material my glass aquarium tank is made out of, but things can grip it pretty darn well.

Latest posts