Good things about crickets

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agent A

the autistic flower mantis
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I have a few advantages to point out about crickets:

very easy to access

can be gut loaded with lots of nutritious stuff (pollen, fruits+vegies, etc.)

come in many sizes

easy to keep and hardy

uhm they're indeed easy to acces, but they stink, make too much noise, are horrible when they escape(i've had a few hundred walking in my house for about 3 weeks)

I think roaches are everything crickets are, but very quiet and easy too.

I prefer locust and roaches anyday

Crickets are the cheapest tho.

another good thing about crickets is you can get alot more in one container and dont need to wait for them to hatch out like fruit flies!

-they can damage mantids

-they stink like heck

-they escape and make horrible noise

-they are unsuitable for all Empusidae

-I live in Poland, and prices for 15-20 measly crickets reach about 3$ - I can have 250 ml of maggots for the same price

-they can damage mantids-they stink like heck

-they escape and make horrible noise

-they are unsuitable for all Empusidae

-I live in Poland, and prices for 15-20 measly crickets reach about 3$ - I can have 250 ml of maggots for the same price
small risk, never personally had it happen in years of using crickets.

mine hardly ever stink, if they stink you need to look at the conditions you keep them in

mine don't escape. only escapes are my own fault, their noise doesn't bother me really

they are fine for about any mantis if you gut load them right

i don't know about you but I like the sounds crickets make, also you can get those that doesn't make that much noise.

Try to keep Idolomantis

nahh i like my gambian and creobroter heh and also my chinese

The life cycle of a cricket is usually much longer than that of any Dipteran. If you wanna breed a sustainable population, you need a bucket-load of them or a handful of mantids.

Last edited by a moderator:
how are crickets NOT invasive?

roaches would be my preferred choice any day. especially if i lived over in the US - hissers sound like a wonderful food source for larger mantids. flies are good too.

how are crickets NOT invasive? roaches would be my preferred choice any day. especially if i lived over in the US - hissers sound like a wonderful food source for larger mantids. flies are good too.
Yeah believe me.. crickets can be real invasive. :rolleyes:

I have used dubia's, hissers are too cool to feed imo lol.

Anyway both locust and roaches are better food than crickets but al of them can damage mantis, that's just the way it is.

the savest food source are probably flies.

But hey i can't feed a 4 inch Hierodula membaranacea female on only flies eh.

You know, the best crickets to feed are black banded crickets, they don't make so much noise and are larger.

how are crickets NOT invasive? roaches would be my preferred choice any day. especially if i lived over in the US - hissers sound like a wonderful food source for larger mantids. flies are good too.
Yeah, I wondered about the "invasive" thing. I think that his mum meant that crickets, unlike roaches, are not going to set up shop in the house. I have found that tropical roaches, though, die of the cold or dehydration if loose in the house. That was certainly true of my lobster roaches.

If you do decide to come and live in the U.S., let me know, and I'll have some hissers ready for you! :D

Yeah, if all you know is Tenodera, Hierodula and Creobroter. Try to keep Idolomantis and feed them crickets - good luck.
I never said you could. I said most, not all.

The cricket we use as feeders are not invasive. How is something that lays eggs in soil going to be invasive inside your home? I have my doubts if they could even survive in the wild too. I use them as fish bait and always just toss the leftovers. I have never seen a cricket like those running wild.

I have never seen a cricket like those running wild.
I wish I could say the same. I have a huge population ouside of my house...I could go totally wild-caught for food supply, if not for the concern over wild parasites and the unknown of what is in their guts.

I wish I could say the same. I have a huge population ouside of my house...I could go totally wild-caught for food supply, if not for the concern over wild parasites and the unknown of what is in their guts.
Ok let me explain what I mean. I see plenty of wild crickets but have yet to see a wild house cricket such as the ones you buy. I feed the wild ones to my mantids all hte time. Parasites has never been a problem so go ahead and use them.

Latest posts