Grandis breeding

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjorsa

Reaction score
My Grandis have been mating and the first female did lay egg just in the period 4 weeks after adult but the second one have gone over 4 weeks now since adult so my question is how many weeks can it take from adult to laying eggs she did get mated att 3,5 week after adult ?

Sorry for my schoolenglish

24febbnisparning.jpg

Kindly bjorsa

my Hierodula was mated at 5 weeks adult and it took 23 days to lay the 1st ooth..it all depends..some can lay the day after mating others can wait 50 days...oh your grandis looks like my Hierodula solomonis - jade mantis..Has your male got a pink belly?

2254982065_2e7af2accb.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
my Hierodula was mated at 5 weeks adult and it took 23 days to lay the 1st ooth..it all depends..some can lay the day after mating others can wait 50 days...oh your grandis looks like my Hierodula solomonis - jade mantis..Has your male got a pink belly?
2254982065_2e7af2accb.jpg
No the male has green belly here a flashpicture

24febbnisparning2.jpg

And thanks for your answer Im new at this I have had mantis since sep 07 mostly for photo but I get more and more intersting in there behavior .

So I dont need to worry for eggbound yet then

Kindly bjorsa

No the male has green belly here a flashpicture
24febbnisparning2.jpg

And thanks for your answer Im new at this I have had mantis since sep 07 mostly for photo but I get more and more intersting in there behavior .

So I dont need to worry for eggbound yet then

Kindly bjorsa
im new to this also but but dont worry/if u have mated them and they successfully connected aldermans for a while then just start feeding her up..mine was getting so fat i was worried..then on day 23 after mating her she laid an ooth..your female grandis is a stunner.thats the 1st time iv ever seen a yellow morpth that looks just like my jade mantis..

oh my giant asian died of old age with out laying a single ooth..but i didnt mate her.

oh i asked if the male had a pink belly because in the pic u posted i cant see the males belly

im new to this also but but dont worry/if u have mated them and they successfully connected aldermans for a while then just start feeding her up..mine was getting so fat i was worried..then on day 23 after mating her she laid an ooth..your female grandis is a stunner.thats the 1st time iv ever seen a yellow morpth that looks just like my jade mantis..oh my giant asian died of old age with out laying a single ooth..but i didnt mate her.

oh i asked if the male had a pink belly because in the pic u posted i cant see the males belly
Yes they connected for many houres so hopefully she is pregnant :)

I did buy this mantis as grandis and for what I know they can bee brown/yellow also and I only got 1 yellow but maby it will be som offspring that will have that color also .

How big is your Hierodula solomonis ?

Is there any webpage where I can see he diffrents between say grandis and solomonis and grandis and membranacea?

kindly bjorsa

Yes they connected for many houres so hopefully she is pregnant :) I did buy this mantis as grandis and for what I know they can bee brown/yellow also and I only got 1 yellow but maby it will be som offspring that will have that color also .

How big is your Hierodula solomonis ?

Is there any webpage where I can see he diffrents between say grandis and solomonis and grandis and membranacea?

kindly bjorsa
im sure its grandis i was just surprised to see the same colour variation as mine..but now u say the bellys not pink then i doubt its solomonis,,also before there adult there inside front claws are pink like in my pic below,,1 things for sure..imo the yellow females are the best..green is so last season..lol

2114441783_3c4652af8f.jpg

Hi

If you are not lucky, the 3,5 weeks you pointed out were not long enough, some females take a little longer. Anyway, 3,5 weeks should be ok. Just ckeck out if she is doing calling behaviour. If so: Mate her again. Or just mate her again without checking calling behaviour, so you will be on the save side.

regards,

tier

notice the black fat bulges that stick out under the abdomen on your grandis pics u have..the Hierodula solomonis doesnt have that..

"calling" = releasing pheromones to attract a male. they will bend their abdomens down away from their wings, usually in the evening or when lights are out, and sometimes shiny glands will protrude from between abdominal segments. I will try to take some pictures of this.

although, they do not always call regularly even if unmated, and sometimes will call after a time even if they have been mated. in general, if she is calling every night, though, she is looking for a male. :)

No pink in my mantis so they are grandis hopefully :)

So 3,5 weeks is early and maybe I should try to mate her again ,is there away to see if she is "pregnant/fertalized" I mean if she now is done will she let the male mate her again or will she defend or get agressive toward him if I try again ?

Here the first female that lay an kokong 6 day after mating at 3,5 week

16febgrandiskonkong2.jpg

Kindly Bjorsa

Hi

1. You have no salomonis (not solomonis!!!), right. But I guess you have a membranacea. However, I don't know.

2. Building an ooth after such a short time means the ooth/female is fertile in general.

3. In general you can mate already mated femals for several times.

4. In general calling shows you that she is not fertile/has no sperma left. So calling shows you the right time for mating.

regards

Hi1. You have no salomonis (not solomonis!!!), right. But I guess you have a membranacea. However, I don't know.

2. Building an ooth after such a short time means the ooth/female is fertile in general.

4. In general calling shows you that she is not fertile/has no sperma left. So calling shows you the right time for mating.

regards
Ok Thanks!

So my grandis is membranacea are they very similar and howe to do a determination of species ?

I will check her later this night and see if she is calling thanks for your information

Kindly bjorsa

According to another website I have me membranacea at leat that one I checked now and he had 17 sharp spines on the fore-coxa I will check the rest In the morning I have 8 of them

Kindly bjorsa

No wonder I could never find any results on google for 'Hierodula solomonis'.
Anyway, I would not wonder if the only pictures of this species in the whole internet are MJ's. Great job MJ, I hope you breed them because I don't know anybody else keeping this species.

regards

Anyway, I would not wonder if the only pictures of this species in the whole internet are MJ's. Great job MJ, I hope you breed them because I don't know anybody else keeping this species.regards
fingers crossed all goes well..im waiting on the ooth to hatch now.i really love this species.i started breeding it because of its amazing colours..if all goes well mantis place(rebeca)wants this species.i hope to send her an ooth soon.i just hope my idols make it to adult.breeding them successfully would be a dream come true.

Hi1. You have no salomonis (not solomonis!!!), right. But I guess you have a membranacea. However, I don't know.

regards
Well this night and morning she delivred the kokong so hopefully she was fertilise

Here a photo but without flash dident want to disturb her

28febkokongnr2nr2.jpg

Kindly bjorsa

fingers crossed all goes well..im waiting on the ooth to hatch now.i really love this species.i started breeding it because of its amazing colours..if all goes well mantis place(rebeca)wants this species.i hope to send her an ooth soon.i just hope my idols make it to adult.breeding them successfully would be a dream come true.
Is it possible to buy from you to Sweden if you get some offspring of salomonis ? And do you breed and sell other mantis ?

Kindly bjorsa

Latest posts