Grass Mantis (Thesprotia Griminis)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mantiscraze

Reaction score
Collected 2 female grass mantes over the weekend, was unsure about how to feed them. Got some small-size crickets from Petsmart, and despite their tiny stubby raptor arms, they are hunting and eating these crickets just fine, phew!

065.jpg

066.jpg

Wow, woke up this morning and bam, there was an ooth...salmon!

069.jpg

068.jpg

067.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd assume that they can be found almost anywhere in Florida. Their range is Southern US and Mexico. But, again, you'll have to really look around tall grass. They are very hard to spot, small like a blade of grass, and blends in with their surroundings.

Central FL? My cuz lives there.

Picture Day

073.jpg

072.jpg

071.jpg

070.jpg

Off topic, how to change topic heading? Noticed that I had the species name wrong. And how do you delete a topic?

Found another fresh load this morning, this time, from the other female, very well concealed.

074.jpg

075.jpg

Like the color of these ooth, salmon.

Great pics! Yeah, I'd say eating something more than 10 times the size of your head qualifies you as a beast!

How they are able to tackle and grab onto large preys with their skinny raptorial front legs with extremely short tibia always amazes me. I'd say pound-for-pound the best mantis fighter in the world.