Gray treefrog!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agent A

the autistic flower mantis
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the other day I caught this lovely female gray treefrog

idk if she is hyla versicolor or chrysoscelis, but she's gorgeous!

9077516883_f66efcb34a_z.jpg

9079741450_9966e0e3d9_z.jpg

9079740418_ddfa311b62_z.jpg

9077512935_68ec9aa388_z.jpg

9077511067_658cc0d665_z.jpg

9077509387_b047a4c38e_z.jpg

I caught one of these a few years ago. Couldn't keep her for very long, though. :( She wasn't as jumpy as my current southern leopard frogs, but she definitely jumped farther!

You can tell them apart by their calls and in some areas maybe the range. No way to do it by just looking at them because the difference is in the number of chromosomes.

Last summer I don't know how many thousands of frogs I dealt with but I want to say it was something like 20, 000. The first picture shows about a quarter of the metamorph frogs we pulled out of our tanks on a daily basis, went on for about three months. Many grays in there too.

They have long since been released after being weighed. Try weighing thousands of tiny frogs. It was an experience. I sometimes wonder how many of them are alive.

Grey Tree Frogs around our house. Hyla chrysoscelis? Sorry the camera does not work in the dark, it needs a whole lot of light.

Cute frog, Alex.

Rick, wow. That's a lot of frogs.

Later in the summer there will be hundreds of baby gray tree frogs on the houses in my neighborhood. When the bathroom light is on, they stick to the window three stories high. I've kept them as pets off and on when I also had a tank with red-eyed tree frogs. I am not keeping any frogs at this time.

Cute treefrogs! I took one in last year for a few months then let it go again,hoping to see another one this year,it was not a grey though I don't believe. In MD they really seem to like the parks and school buildings at night,lots of trees and ponds around and parking lot lights so they are easily visible

Cute frog, Alex.

Rick, wow. That's a lot of frogs.

Later in the summer there will be hundreds of baby gray tree frogs on the houses in my neighborhood. When the bathroom light is on, they stick to the window three stories high. I've kept them as pets off and on when I also had a tank with red-eyed tree frogs. I am not keeping any frogs at this time.
Oh that is nothing. We took out that many per day for three months straight. What you see in the picture is just a portion of what was removed daily.

Video of a female grey tree frog I caught the other year. She was huge, I did not know about the frogs around here at this time and I thought the Grey Tree Frogs were an exotic species haha so of course I was excited. I let her go later.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that is also found in Maine. I found 2 that came in white! It happens sometimes. They were so beautiful with the contrasting black lines.

Latest posts