Great mantis for second time owner?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scXthursday

Reaction score
Right; so as of right now, my current mantis is a regilosa, and sad to say he may pass in a couple weeks time. When he does I'm extremely interested in adopting a couple ghosts or orchids. That being said, are they as easy to take care of?

They are not overly difficult though I would recommend something easier for your next mantis.

If you're looking for exotics, ghosts aren't a bad choice. Very neat looking, and not environmentally demanding. Orchids need higher humidity+temp and are on the picky side for food selection.

You can never go wrong with any Sphodromantis, Hierodula, or Parasphendale (budwing). They greedily eat almost anything you can find, and they don't require any crazy environments.

If you're looking for something a little different, shield mantids (Rhombodera species) are a nice color, cool shape, and have an aggressive appetite!

The only reason I was looking in to orchids is because I live in a desert where it's 80+ majority of the year. Now as for ghosts, I heard their communal and won't attemp to eat one another is this true?? Also, how big do they get compaired to the regilosa?

The only reason I was looking in to orchids is because I live in a desert where it's 80+ majority of the year. Now as for ghosts, I heard their communal and won't attemp to eat one another is this true?? Also, how big do they get compaired to the regilosa?
One big reason why Orchids need high humidity and temp is they have a more complex body (leafy lobes and projections) which can be difficult to slide out of when shedding. Dry air poses a big risk for the mantis come molt time.

Ghosts are communal. Just remember, though, they are carnivores and will eat eachother if food is very low. This species is not very active. They grow slower and live longer than Mantis religiosa, and are around 5 cm long when adult. Ghosts come in some cool colors: green, brown, grey, salt n' pepper, and anything in between.

Violins could also be a good communal species for you. They live in the deserts of India and need a higher temp than most species. If you are willing to collect/order flying food then you should be good.