Green/blue discharge

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gary18211

Reaction score
I noticed this morning my budwing mantis has a clear blue/green liquid coming from his behind. I thought that morning he may have just been doing natures need, but now I don't know what to think... It almost looks like it's been smashed or maybe he ate too much? Nothing in there can fall on him though and I haven't seen him eat in a day or 2 though, he just hasn't been interested. I do feed home a honey/pollen mixture every other day though which he never rejects. He's also incredibly lethargic.

I recent switched his enclosure as well and I'm worried it might be the moisture in there... Temp has been reading around 75, moisture around 80. He's 7th Instar. Thanks in advance for any help!

I noticed this morning my budwing mantis has a clear blue/green liquid coming from his behind. I thought that morning he may have just been doing natures need, but now I don't know what to think... It almost looks like it's been smashed or maybe he ate too much? Nothing in there can fall on him though and I haven't seen him eat in a day or 2 though, he just hasn't been interested. I do feed home a honey/pollen mixture every other day though which he never rejects. He's also incredibly lethargic.

I recent switched his enclosure as well and I'm worried it might be the moisture in there... Temp has been reading around 75, moisture around 80. He's 7th Instar. Thanks in advance for any help!
Mantid blood is greenish so it might be an injury

Did anything else happen in the days before your mantid quit eating? How did you transfer your Budwing to the new habitat?

As Mantidbro said it sounds like blood, and a lethargic mantid means a big problem. I checked my mantid book to verify the outcome of a lethargic mantid and it is this..

Lethargy is a sign that a mantid is preparing to die, and usually the cause is long time periods between feedings; however, it can be caused by a injury as well. Often a lethargic mantid will have a burst of energy returning to a normal or even a hyperactive state right before the end of it's life.

Sorry to say there isn't anything you can do, but keep an eye on your mantid. If it becomes certain it is dying, end it's suffering the humane way by putting it in the freezer overnight.

Thanks for the speedy replies. It does look like an injury, but the only thing I can think that might have caused it is possibly a cricket. There's been one in there, but much smaller than the mantid. I moved the mantid while it was on its usual branch just by moving the branch from one tank to the other. It seemed really happy in its new vivarium too... I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks for the speedy replies. It does look like an injury, but the only thing I can think that might have caused it is possibly a cricket. There's been one in there, but much smaller than the mantid. I moved the mantid while it was on its usual branch just by moving the branch from one tank to the other. It seemed really happy in its new vivarium too... I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Sorry it couldn't be better news though. Hopefully it will be something minor and it will pull through. Keep us posted.

good luck with your little guy

A cricket bit off my mantid's leg once! They can be dangerous sometimes. Who'd a thunk??

So far he hasn't gotten better. He seems to be keeping the same level of activity. Today he has one wing out and it seems like he can't put it back...

Latest posts