Green Egyptian mantis?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uralowl

Reaction score
I got four L1 Egyptian mantis nymphs from a friend of mine a little over a month ago after he had an ooth hatch. They've all been growing quite fast and most of them are L3 nymphs now, it's just one that's still an L2 nymph, though he seems due for another molt soon since he's been hanging upside down and refusing his fruit flies for the past 2 days.

Anyway, I've noticed that the L3 nymphs turned light green when they molted, they were a sandy white colour beforehand and a dark brown when they were L1 nymphs. I haven't heard of green Egyptian mantids before, so just wondering if they do sometimes go green or whether my friend has given me a different species of mantid, lol.

It is strange that you never heard of green ones before. Green seems to be common but I am not sure. I have read that they can be a beautiful sea blue color.

Last edited by a moderator:
They can be green if you want to be sure you have the right species post a picture, it is hard to identify them off the description of colour alone :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Whenever I googled pictures of Egyptian mantids, they were always a light sandy colour, which is why I was wondering. These things grow much faster than my other mantids, one of them molted again just yesterday and I saw one of my L3 nymphs molting into a L4 earlier today. I'm used to my mantids molting about once or twice a month, not 3+ in one month, lol.

I'll try and get a picture of one of the L4 nymphs later, they're pretty big now compared to when I first got them.

When I had that species the vast majority ended up green.

Thanks for the links.

There's been a bit of a molting frenzy today, one of the L4 nymphs molted, as well as an L3 nymph and the L2 nymph that seems to have stayed a cream colour unlike its siblings.

Latest posts