Green Male Ghost?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idolofreak

Reaction score
Just wanted to know if anyone has ever seen a green male ghost mantis or a picture of one? Just wondering if those are SUPER rare or don't exist. I JUST realized I've never seen one. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had green ghost males all the way up to sub-adult. Once they turn adult, they turn beige. It's become very fustrating. :angry:

I have had green ghost males all the way up to sub-adult. Once they turn adult, they turn beige. It's become very fustrating. :angry:
Okay, thanks. Nice to know there are green males, just not adults (From your experience). That is pretty frustrating that their green doesn't make it to adult. <_<

No color is rare, unless you have an albino. It basically depends on preference. Green is my favorite color, so I prefer green. But sometimes, God gives you black and you just have to deal with it. Keep them more moist and there is a "better possibility" of achieving a green. That is only on the females, of course. Black, brown, or other "earthtones" on the males.

Here's a pic of the greenest male ghost that I have raised. :)

078-2.jpg

I've found that keeping them in a humid and well lit space increases the probability of ghosts becoming greener in color. I think my favorite colored mantis was a female and dark brown when I acquired her. I kept her near a window where she would get a few hours of sun in the morning a stayed well lit throughout the rest of the day. I can't remember if she was sub-adult or pre sub-adult when I got her but when she molted to adult she was a really beautiful combination of brown, tan, and green. It was awesome! ;)

Here's a pic of the greenest male ghost that I have raised. :)

078-2.jpg

I've found that keeping them in a humid and well lit space increases the probability of ghosts becoming greener in color. I think my favorite colored mantis was a female and dark brown when I acquired her. I kept her near a window where she would get a few hours of sun in the morning a stayed well lit throughout the rest of the day. I can't remember if she was sub-adult or pre sub-adult when I got her but when she molted to adult she was a really beautiful combination of brown, tan, and green. It was awesome! ;)
Cool! I've never seen that color combo on a ghost before. Almost looks like the skin texture of a grizzled mantis (Gonatista grisea).

...sometimes, God gives you black and you just have to deal with it.
DEAL WITH IT??? I LOVE black and green ghost mantids! I also caught an albino katydid once, but it was so loud I had to let it go so I could sleep. Three or four of my female L4s are green, two are black, and my L3 male is brown.

I recently acquired a "greenish" colored male Ghost L-5 which has since molted to L-6. There may be some pics of him. I will see if I can post one.

DEAL WITH IT??? I LOVE black and green ghost mantids! I also caught an albino katydid once, but it was so loud I had to let it go so I could sleep. Three or four of my female L4s are green, two are black, and my L3 male is brown.
Let me restate that. "I" have to deal with it.
laugh.gif
But then again, it isn't much to have to deal with. I have just as many different colors as I have ghost females.

Cool! I've never seen that color combo on a ghost before. Almost looks like the skin texture of a grizzled mantis (Gonatista grisea).
Yes, he was an interesting specimen. ;)

I have no idea what he looked like as an adult though. I traded him for the female I was also going on about in my first post. :p

Latest posts