Greetings from a new mantid parent

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not to be insulting / just in case... Are you sure it was done molting?

This kind of hang is normal. Sometimes an hour or so. Maybe more.

20190131_022744.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, not insulting at all. Glad for the information. It was not molting this morning, and when I got home from work at around 8, that is how I found him. There didn't seem to be any skin or molt remnants. It's possible it's not done. But I'm curious how often this "mis-molting" happens.

Thanks,

Bob

Mismolts fall into two general categories: a molt where the mantis did not finish shedding its exuvia, and a molt where the mantis has somehow fallen before (or after) shedding its exuvia.

The first is self explanatory and is sometimes recoverable after its next molt.

The second is only reasonably survivable if the mantis still has its butt (or maybe a leg) in its exuvia and you hang it back up to finish. 

If it doesnt shed its exuvia completely, the trapped limb is often lost at next molt. This just happened to a mismolted thistle I got for free. 

Either way its bad, unless you hang them up immediately. Theyre so soft before the chitin sclerotizes, internal damage is a real threat. Joints dont articulate well. Tarsi lose functionality. Etc. Survivabilty is low, if they hit the hard plastic / glass deck of the floor.

Sometimes they expire mid-molt if they were very weak. I had a Rhombodera megaera that had somehow sustained damage to an eye. Damage aside as he was weak going into the molt, the exuvia got hung up on the damage and he wasnt able to shed. I came home to find him struggling trying to 'pull off his sweater'.

Latest posts