Gutload?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I keep seeing reference to "gutloading" a crickit or mantis. Im a little new, so im not to sure what this means. i also see feeding pics that look as if the feeder animal has been covered in somthing, is this gut load? What is the substance on these feeders, what are the benefits of this?

It means you feed the cricket or food item well, which in turn passes on to the animal that eats it. Sometimes you see a product called gutload for crickets. But you just feed them really good and that passes on to the mantis.

Nope you're not crazy. Some people like to dust their feeders with calcium powder, before feeding it to their herps. A good gut load is all that's necessary for mantids though.

I also dust the blue bottle and house flies with mixture of crushed honey powder and bee pollen. It is plenty of work but this method have been working out great especially on flower type mantis like Orchid mantis. This might get too elaborate but i had many questions regarding mantid food from other breeders so this is a good topic for me to share the info.

Bee pollen (pellet forms)

beepollen.jpg

Arizona wild cactus honey powder

honeypowder.jpg

Tool in crushing the pellets together

crush.jpg

Mixture

pollenmix.jpg

Then dumped in the flies (gut-loaded with honey water) from fridge and shake the container with flies and the powder mixture. Then it is served.......yummy! yes it is lot of work but your hardwork will be rewarded with some good looking mantis.

cagef2.jpg

Also wild caught honey bee carries all those goodies too so feed those to your mantis whnever possible. Hope this help.

Kinda going on what yen said I feed my bluebottle flies unprocessed honey. It's called Really Raw Honey.

I'm just wondering, does the bee pollen give some people allergies?
Sort of related .... I hear that if you have a teaspoon of honey each day, made by bees in your local area, that it will help alleviate allergies. Provided that the honey is raw.

Yes some people are allergic to all kinds of pollen. However, pollen is definately good for mantis. Here is a link i received from Isis which has some great info about pollen vs mantis healthy/mortality rate. Thanks Isis!http://docserver.esa.catchword.org/deliver...5x/v32n4s22.pdf
Okay, then I guess I'm staying away from the pollen.

Sort of related .... I hear that if you have a teaspoon of honey each day, made by bees in your local area, that it will help alleviate allergies. Provided that the honey is raw.
Good point. I think I tried that before when I was little and it didn't work. Maybe I didn't eat enough each day, but I wouldn't mind trying again. Allergy season is just around the corner!

Yen, are these products (the pollen and honey powders) available at petstores, warehouses, plant depots, or just off of the net?

Yen, are these products (the pollen and honey powders) available at petstores, warehouses, plant depots, or just off of the net?
You can find pellet type bee pollen in heatlh store, they are $10.99 per bottle of 20oz glass container i think. I bought it from chinatown here in Houston, you can find it in Sandy's market too. I used wild cactus honey powder as mixture but i am sure any type of honey powder will do.

Why don't they sell pollen pellets to minors? I went to the drug store by circut city today and I saw pollen pellets in a jar. I wanted to stock up on some and be prepared for when i get my mantis.

But when I went to the lady over the counter she said "Oh, I'm terribly sorry, but we don't sell these to minors. Again im really sorry" I didn't want to argue because she seemed nice. :wink:

Why not to minors? It's not like we sniff it or anything. :roll:

Or maybe because it was the fact I was all by myself in a drug store?

If you catch a bee is it ok for the praying mantis to eat its poison sac?

Why don't they sell pollen pellets to minors? I went to the drug store by circut city today and I saw pollen pellets in a jar. I wanted to stock up on some and be prepared for when i get my mantis.But when I went to the lady over the counter she said "Oh, I'm terribly sorry, but we don't sell these to minors. Again im really sorry" I didn't want to argue because she seemed nice. :wink:

Why not to minors? It's not like we sniff it or anything. :roll:

Or maybe because it was the fact I was all by myself in a drug store?
I was not aware of it. But you can always ask your parents to get you one.

Latest posts