Gynandromorph mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can anyone see the pics? I saw this in a N. Cardinal once and it was very odd.

i believe you need to be a member of that forum to see the pics.
The pics are on two forums on that thread, the first post by Drumkitchen is to the german forum where you nedd to be a member, the second post by Drumkitchenn is to the UK forum where you don't have to be a member to see the pics so they should be visible

They weren't visible for me in either of the other two forums.

That is very interesting. I had no idea that was even possible. So strange, but cool.

Interesting... I'm used to seeing more than just the genitalia exhibiting differences in gynandomorphs in insects that show both size and morphology as a result of sexual dimorphism. From what I could see, there's not much difference between the two sides of this gynandomorph aside from the division of the genitalia with both male and female characteristics. Could it simply be a female with malformations?

Interesting... I'm used to seeing more than just the genitalia exhibiting differences in gynandomorphs in insects that show both size and morphology as a result of sexual dimorphism. From what I could see, there's not much difference between the two sides of this gynandomorph aside from the division of the genitalia with both male and female characteristics. Could it simply be a female with malformations?
I thought the same thing. In roaches, it usually appears that the whole body is a different gender, lengthwise.

I agree. Perhaps it is just the angle the pictures were taken from.

Gynandromorphs are not always bilateral. For example, there are mosaic gynandromorphs, with male and female characteristics scattered among the various body parts. I believe this is the case here. The thing dorsad the ovipositor valves cannot be the spermatophore (if we assume that this is indeed a freak female): because the female part of the genitalia is so distorted, I doubt that a normal male could lock with it and leave spermatophore. Besides, in what I assume to be the male part of the genitalia I can see all three complexes of genitalia sclerites (although size of the pictures is too small to tell the details).

Last edited by a moderator:
That's really sad. It's abdomen appears to be twisted and squished and folded. It's a wonder it survived it's various molts at all. Poor thing. Creatures weren't made to be like that... right?

That's really sad. It's abdomen appears to be twisted and squished and folded. It's a wonder it survived it's various molts at all. Poor thing. Creatures weren't made to be like that... right?
What do you mean? It looks perfectly healthy to me.

Latest posts