Habitat Lamp

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CosbyArt

Reaction score
What do you use for a light/lamp on your custom enclosures? Perhaps someone can share a better project, as this isn't my last. Well here are my results of my custom made lamp for now.

I built another enclosure/house/habitat for my mantis with improvements. As it was another custom built habitat I needed to find a lamp/light source for it.

After building my own lamp and spending about $15 total I found small florescent lamps (5" and 12") at a local store for only $6 new. So it turns out if I knew what bulb size to buy originally, or knew of the florescent lamp, I would have saved money (100% or more).

I found a tiny lamp that used light bulb bases B, C, and F - so after looking at local stores C base light bulbs were plentiful, especially C7. I originally tried two night lights (that use 7 watt bulbs) and it did not provide near enough light. I then jumped to a 40 watt bulb, which was too much.

In the end I bought a 25 watt bulb and it provided enough light without being too much. I dismantled the lamp and made a vented box enclosure for the bulb socket.

After experimenting with the various light bulbs, and saw nearly none give the light amount (lumens or luminosity) on the package just the wattage -- but then it wouldn't matter as I had no idea how many lumens I needed for my habitat. I tried all the various incandescent light bulbs I had then, and made a chart of the various wattages.

As my camera auto-adjusted the images based on lighting/iso I took images with the room light on and off as well to help show the variations. Perhaps this will be of use to others that build their own enclosure/house/habitats.

Seems even on bulb packages with limited info, they show what wattage or comparable wattage it uses. So the chart will help even if you are using the newer light bulbs, LEDs, or such bulbs.

Here is my photo chart...

light-test.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
r u working for daylight only or heat?
Just enough to make it a decent light for my viewing, for her to hunt, and not too much to bother the mantis. My mantis seems to get more active when the light goes off anyway. All the bulbs (besides the 7 watt) give off enough heat to take the chill out of the air in my room, so heating isn't really necessary.

Speaking of heat though, me and my wife, can't sleep without a fan running. So at night I droop a towel over the front of the mantis habitat to ensure it doesn't affect her. Kind of like covering a bird cage at night - except I just cover the front (with sides/back/top left uncovered).

I like your set up... nice and tidy! Thanks for sharing..
Thanks, it is still until construction as it was, I was just fleshing out a lamp/light source. I was hoping to finish the habitat today (Friday), my last day off for awhile, but other things got in the way. At least now there is only an hour or two of construction left so perhaps I can tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts