Halloween Horror Mantid Contest

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2nd UPDATE!!!! HALLOWEEN HORROR MANTID PHOTO CONTEST

Looks like we are getting more particpants - already some submissions too! cool :)

Purpose: This Halloween contest aims to create the creepiest, scariest, or most horrideously horrifying pictue of a mantid (or mantids). It can be in the form of a fake movie poster, picure of a diarama, a photoshopped image, picture of a specially lit image, a picture of a hand drawn or computer generated image or painted image, or the like.

1. Submission Deadline - photos must be submitted a week in advance by posted to a new tread which has been created in the forum Announcements section called HALLOWEEN PHOTO CONTEST SUBMISSIONS. Other than descriptive information required, please try to post to no text to that thread and only links to pictures. Keep all comments and text about the submissions on this threadwill then place the images onto a thread on Halloween and then members will vote in a separate poll for a winner. Is this the best way to do it? I dont know.

2. Prizes - as you may know, Hibiscusmile of mantisplace.com has generously offered to sponsor this event. In order for her to know how many prizes may be needed, participants need to post that they want to participate !?!?!

3. Patcicipants. Here is the list so far:

1. Arkanis and wife

2. ABbuggin

3. Vera_Renczi

4. Grant

5. Spicy

6. Agent A

7. Chase (added 09-16-09)

8. Opivy (added 09-16-09)

9. Katnapper (added 09-16-09)

10. Orin (added 09-16-09)

11. Pele (added 09-17-09)

12. Lemminiwinks (added 09-17-09)

the following members seemed interested -- so you participating?

11. rick

12. tier

4. Rules. The picture must be taken specically for this contest - it can be a modification of an earlier made image. Participants can use any lighting effect, visual trick, computer program, art techniques, camera effect or props or any other means. Entries must include 1) name of image, 2) name of photographer, 3) name of contest entrant, and 4) respect copyright laws. You can use/alter images of others with their express permission (such as Pele gave for the above images).

5. Number of submissions - there is really only one category for this contest - so everyone gets one submission.

If anyone proposes new rules or has a good reason to change existing ones, lets hear it.

Last edited by a moderator:
A week in advance of Halloween? So would that be the 24th?
That is just an arbitrary date - since participants will post their entry themselves to the post HALLOWEEN PHOTO CONTEST SUBMISSIONS i guess people could submit pics later - just as long as all entries are submitted BEFORE Halloween so that people can vote on a poll on Halloween day for the winner!

UPDATED PARTICIPANT LIST

1. Arkanis and wife

2. ABbuggin

3. Vera_Renczi

4. Grant

5. Spicy

6. Agent A

13. Kamakiri (added 09-18-09)

14. Tier (added 09-18-09)

Okay here is how I made my picture. I took dry grass and glued it to a shoe boxed that was rigged for this purpose. Then I put a tinkie winkie doll and used food coloring as blood. The organs were clay and a fake frog stomach. The black sheet was of course a black sheet. The wolves and bats were beenie babies and the bat had a black string on each leg which both became a large knot where a pin went through and stuck it to the back of the box which you didn't see. The thing in Metal's arms is a piece of paper towel with food coloring on it. No one is to copy my picture or I will personally report you to an administrator.

Okay here is how I made my picture. I took dry grass and glued it to a shoe boxed that was rigged for this purpose. Then I put a tinkie winkie doll and used food coloring as blood. The organs were clay and a fake frog stomach. The black sheet was of course a black sheet. The wolves and bats were beenie babies and the bat had a black string on each leg which both became a large knot where a pin went through and stuck it to the back of the box which you didn't see. The thing in Metal's arms is a piece of paper towel with food coloring on it. No one is to copy my picture or I will personally report you to an administrator.
Agent, A. I seriously wish that you would have posted this earlier. As it is, I printed off two dozen copies of your pic on heavy weight bond, suitable for framing, kept two for myself and mailed the rest out to friends in those cylinder thingies. It was simple, though painful, to destroy my own copies, but now I shall have to Email all my friends to ask them to shred the pix without looking at them. All I can say is tsk.

Agent, A. I seriously wish that you would have posted this earlier. As it is, I printed off two dozen copies of your pic on heavy weight bond, suitable for framing, kept two for myself and mailed the rest out to friends in those cylinder thingies. It was simple, though painful, to destroy my own copies, but now I shall have to Email all my friends to ask them to shred the pix without looking at them. All I can say is tsk.
Oh no, Phil.... the horror of it! :eek:

I meant not to copy it and use it for the competition, you can print, edit, do whatever you want with it as long as you don't use it to help you win this contest. I don't care if you print some for your own purposes, just don't take it and edit it and post it here as your entry and don't print it and use it as like a model so you can make a diaramma exactly like mine.

I meant not to copy it and use it for the competition, you can print, edit, do whatever you want with it as long as you don't use it to help you win this contest. I don't care if you print some for your own purposes, just don't take it and edit it and post it here as your entry and don't print it and use it as like a model so you can make a diaramma exactly like mine.
Hey Phil, if you have enough printer ink, paper, envelopes, and stamps you could horrify the entire state of Arizona! ;)

So Phil that was the box i got from you that said "open at your one risk for ungodly things are contained within" i just dug a hole and tossed it in then burned the cloths i had on when i did the deed. :D

UPDATED PARTICIPANT LIST - we now have 16 participants!

1. Arkanis and wife

2. ABbuggin

3. Vera_Renczi

4. Grant

5. Spicy

6. Agent A

13. Kamakiri (added 09-18-09)

14. Tier (added 09-18-09)

15. Idolomantis (added 09-19-09)

16. Apollo Staar (added 09-20-09)

17. TropidO mAntis (added 09-23-09)

Well, good news! It appears we have, at last count, 17 people participating in the HALLOWEEN HORROR MANTID PHOTO CONTEST - yay! Already some people have posted entries! (Post #54 above contains the most recent participant list).

Keep those photo entries coming! We are working on ours today!

Regarding the other thread in this subforium containing pictures, when it comes nearer to poll/judging time perhaps a kind mod would not mind erasing all the non-photo posts from the thread containing the entries! ;)

I can't believe this is the first I'm reading of this. You never wrote me Phil, I thought it was yours (or at least that's the way is was presented in the frame I recieved). I had it blown up and painted on the hood of my car.

I can't believe this is the first I'm reading of this. You never wrote me Phil, I thought it was yours (or at least that's the way is was presented in the frame I recieved). I had it blown up and painted on the hood of my car.
LaughingSoHardImCrying.gif

Reminder to participants (and note to self): Time to get those last minute entries in under the wire - the deadline for this contest is approaching. I think the final deadline is Oct 30 so that members can vote by poll on Oct 31 - Halloween.

Exciting secret prize sponsored by Mantisplace.com

Latest posts