Hatching during shipment...grrrr

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oh my gosh! How did you get the pink tint? Mine just came out plain white with a little but of brown. :(

I see moulting again into third instar :shock: It was just 3 or 4 days ago when they shed into 2nd instar. Guess they are happy with the condition! With this rate, i hope to see some adults before Christmas :D

Anyone getting the idolomantis from me, please note that they will also moult into third instar soon. :D

Couple pics of 3rd instar idolomantis, they are thriving and i am a happy man :D

L3c.jpg

L3d.jpg

5 weeks come and go, here they are at fifth instar. Have seen threat post a few times, it is quite a sight even at this stage. Wish i know where i placed my camera sometimes.

L5a.jpg

L5b.jpg

This one decided to moult into L5. So far all of them are moulting alright, which is a great relief for me.

L5d.jpg

Get them to adult in 2 months haha you do it with all species! I still think you are giving your mantids steroids

Thanks! my guess is they will turn adult by Christmas, or even before that. But with the colder weather setting in, i am not sure if that is possible. Probably need another heat lamp. But for now, they are "ballooning" with frequent moult. the foot cube net cage is getting too small for all of them. My other batch from Germany will hopefully mature into adult end of next month.

Steroids?!
y30.gif

well yeah the "steroids" are probably just the extra food and heat, i am not planning to produce another Marion Jones
lol.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm so jealous Yen, your mantises grow so fast. <_<

But are they a communal sp.? My sister and I want a couple and we haven't been able to find alot about them.

Lovely pictures though. :D

Thanks Andrea.They appear to be communal species for now with constant supply of blue bottle flies. No cannibalism so far, touch wood :)
Welcome Yen. :p

Thanks. I'll have to keep some bluebottles handy when I get them then. Oh, how hard would you say it is to care for them?

Sorry for the random questions but they are such a beautiful sp. :)

They are one of the hardest. The molting seems to be a problem for them. :(
I knew they were pretty hard to care for, but how hard?

Do you have to be on hand and foot for these guys or just give them a lot more care then any other sp.? I want to makes sure I know before I go and get that I can take care of it. :mellow:

I can see how the molting might be a problem. :(

Welcome Yen. :p Thanks. I'll have to keep some bluebottles handy when I get them then. Oh, how hard would you say it is to care for them?

Sorry for the random questions but they are such a beautiful sp. :)
If you can provide heat between the range of 90-100F during day time and plenty of flies, they will do alright. Also, they walk very akwardly on the ground so they definately prefer branches (not leaves) to hang on to. I expect to see some casualties especialy the last moult, and i wouldn't call myself success in this species until they manage to breed for another generation. But so far except for the first moult - where there was only one mismoult case which survive after second moult - the subsequent molts are perfect :D yay!!. Anyway, i suspect breeding to be more of a challenge as compare to caring. Wish me luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts