hcarlton's Mantid Photos

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a supposedly communal species give me an instance of cannibalism in L1, so I prefer separating them ASAP, and I know where I can get the condiment cups I use at this size but I don't have a lot of time to go shopping so for the most part I work with what I have available (I also really don't have time to set a bunch of stuff up beforehand, or a place to store them; one of my focus interests is carnivorous plants, and I have somewhere around 3,000 of those to take care of). 100 were separated individually, another 42 in groups of 3 in some larger containers, and there are still at least 50 + in the original container so I'm going to just try and keep them topped off on fruit flies and hope to sell a fair number quickly once they hit L2

The number of mantids in the house just sextupled...and the power went out tonight, so I did not get around to housing even a fifth of them yet I'm sure, but I did get some photos beforehand.

The ooth here also came from @Sarah K, about 4 weeks ago, and if I recall correctly the estimate given was probably around 100 nymphs. I think I've got at least double that :p . Bit of a headache, they don't stay still long enough to photograph easy or get into the cups and containers I have without chasing each one across m hands for 5 minutes...but oh, what a mild complaint, considering I've got a new species to work with.

Hierodula membranacea by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

Congrats!!!!!!! Glad you wound up with with more than you expected! ;) My giant asian mamas are keeping me well-stocked on giant asians as well!

I actually ended up managing to count them all, 212 altogether. So far I think I've had 4 that haven't made it, but if even only half survive the first molt that will still be a lot of mantids, both to keep and sell...

I've had the patience before to count out all of what has been anywhere between 2700-3500 individual carnivorous plants (depending on what's sprouted or sold) over the past few years in my collection; setting up housing individually (or when I ran out, up to 15 in large containers) for a couple hundred insects is nothing by comparison. Actually, it's not patience at all, but a need to keep track of details. Maybe I'm a touch OCD....

Anyway, as I write this it's already the New Year, but below are some earlier end of the year update photos:

Female #1 spiny flower, who is no longer really a Mrs. Pink but instead turning Mrs. Teal

Pseudocreobotra wahlbergii by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

And the mature male just because he's cool

The Big Stick female molted to, I believe, subadult. Decided to show her to my sister, who tried to videotape her because she's amusing to watch. Instead, ended up with a 6" mantis on her hand, and the reaction was hilarious (caused an accidental delete of the video though...)

Heterochaeta orientalis by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

The main shelf contents (of several) of the menagerie

The mantis menagerie by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

And my two orchids molted; caught one in the act

Hymenopus coronatus by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

Thirsty beastie

The second was a bit more camera shy after molting...

Geez Desi and Luciano sure are Big and such a amazing green color! You got lucky with your colorations! ?

Your mantids look great, and as Connor said, the color of the lineolas is so bright and vibrant!

I had thought that the bright green was the more typical color of these guys, but if it's uncommon I'm all the happier. Luciano's getting extremely close to his last molt too...

Speaking of colors, all those Hierodula nymphs are starting to molt (meaning I have a ton for sale now) and I've got everything from what will likely turn out bark brown to goldenrod to lime green it appears. Gonna try and keep at least one of each (will select 10 to hold a good variety and ensure a couple pairs).

And in other news: "Blue" is not quite as blue now but I'm keeping the name, and he's molted again. The shield is showing big time

Rhombodera basalis by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

Pair of special molts occurred last night/today:

Female spiny #1 is now an adult! Hopefully in a month she'll be paired with one of the males...

And this is the shadow of what Luciano was...

S. lineola molt by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

Compared to what he is now. Unfortunately he decided to dry near the bottom of the container, so his wing tips are folded. Trying to photograph him and nudge him to move higher resulted in someone wanting to explore instead of being a good mantis and staying in his house though....

Sphodromantis lineola by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

They look beautiful, congrats on the molts!  It's too bad about the wings but at least he is healthy. :)

Petalbutt 1, undoubtedly female

Petalbutt 2, the one retaining more pink and most likely female but not yet certain...

Spiny female #2 is adult! That makes 3 of 5, and hopefully only a couple weeks before I can start pairing either the male already molted or one of the other 2 soon-to-be with them

The giant Asians now range from L2 to L5 (the bigger ones are in the warmer part of my room); with still over 160 that I don't intend to keep, I have a lot available if anyone wants this species, in quite the range of colors...

And Desi is now an adult! Smaller than Luciano, but unlike him this guy has perfectly folded wings...

The camera fascinated him, so he ruined my photo...

Smallest of the sticks just molted.

And this girl makes 4 now at either subadult or presub (if the latter, geez these are going to be huge when they stop growing; can't tell because not sure how big the wing buds should be)

Wow!!! Congratulations for that mantis, you have a great collection.

Returned from a week-long trip this past weekend, and took a few update shots...

Majority of the living membs (had a rather large increase of cannibalism instances recently) are now L5 and up, meaning I have managed to sex the majority. I have found now, despite claims from some other members, that the distinction between males and females when looking at the segments only becomes truly clear after L5; many individuals that appeared male at L4 molted and suddenly the last couple segments fused to show the large, single segment of females at the end.

H. membranacea by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

H. membranacea by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

All 4 basalis are now at L8, only one molt to go it looks like (these guys grow incredibly fast...)

R. basalis female 1 by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

Skittish female not happy about being moved to a larger house. They'll all skitter away if poked, but this is the only one that regularly threat-poses

R. basalis female 1 by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

R. basalis female 2 by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

So adorable...

R. basalis female 2 by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

Interestingly, both of the males look to be bigger than the females...Blue in particular

R. basalis "Blue" by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

R. basalis "Blue" by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

Smallest of the sticks is starting to catch up

H. orientalis by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

And orchids as lovely as ever. Judging by the wing buds though, I may have to start looking for a male a lot sooner than I thought...

Petalbutt 2 by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

Petalbutt 2 by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

Petalbutt 1 by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

Latest posts