hcarlton's Mantid Photos

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes! Congratulations! You should definitely get a male for her!

- MantisGirl13

Great! Glad she molted! Let's hope the lamp has the same effect on the budwings!

- MantisGirl 13

At least you have one girl! Hopefully she can have babies, and you will have lots more!

- MantisGirl13

For those who expressed interest earlier, I now have one mated female and several possibly fertile (not guaranteed though) ooths available.

While I struggle finding a new potential mate for the now 3 adult H. orientalis females, I have meanwhile finally had success getting the R. basalis to mate!

R. basalis by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

Took forever though; the males are clueless (fly or run away, cling to my finger instead of the female, start off backward, jump off the female after being in position...), but at least I cna say I'll probably have babies eventually. Good thing too that Blue did his job, as the other male passed a few days ago...gave an opportunity to see full colors however

Congratulations on the successful mating! Sorry about your other male, but he really does have nice coloration.

Good luck finding a male orientalis!

I am so glad that you got the R. basalis to mate! I hope that any ooths you have are fertile! Good luck on finding a mate for your orientalis.

- MantisGirl13

Congrats!  The colors are awesome and I just got my first glimpse of that bright pink on my own the other day when my adult female started calling.  Bending her abdomen really showed off the pink color.

Even more, perhaps better success tonight:

Hymenopus coronatus by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

And Blue went for a second mating with that female today since he never left her all night, but unfortunately, when finished, he didn't leave, and she probably chewed him enough that he won't survive to pair with the second female...

Poor Blue! That is great that you got the Orchids to mate! I hope that you have lots of fertile ooths!

- MantisGirl13

H. orientalis still await a mature male (and I suspect any day now I might start seeing infertile ooths from the oldest two), and the mated R. basalis has yet to lay (anyone know their preferences on laying sites, if they have any?), but I found something very special in the orchid house a couple of days ago... H. coronatus ooth by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

Latest posts