hcarlton's Mantid Photos

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is the 4th ooth from the 2 green females in a week! Somehow I missed the laying of the first, so I ended up with 2 on one stick from one female...

P. paradoxa ooth by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

Now hopefully to see them through hatching. I read after I'd placed them in my incubator (sits at about 83 F) that they can be hatched at room temp, so I don't know if the extra warmth will speed things up or if I'm doing something stupid (also don't really have a room temp location; unless it's on the already occupied snake tank even most of my room is probably a touch cold for any ooth).

In other news, the 2nd generation of R. basalis are also beginning to mature. Mom's still around:

R. basalis female by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

And not-so-shockingly a male is the first of the F2 to molt. He did not straighten out his wings properly for unknown reasons though...

R. basalis F2 male by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

R. basalis F2 male by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

So I was told ghost males are short-lived, and they don't eat...this guy's been fully mature for over a month now, approaching pushing a month and a half, and he munches most of the houseflies I stick in his cup...is he anomalous? 

P. paradoxa male by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

I had two male ghosts and one lived 2 months as adult and the other...5.5 months. Caught me off guard! They usually ate at least part of a blue bottle fly every couple days. They were adult during the winter here so the lower temperatures in the house could have contributed to their longevity.

2nd generation of ghosts! I think I have 30+ from 3 or 4 different ooths at the moment (there appears to have been a fair die-off rate straight out of the ooths, sadly), and still another 5 or 6 ooths yet to hatch (I'd be happy to sell a few, rather than hatch them all).

P. paradoxa by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

Adorable little ant things...

P. paradoxa by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

Yay! Congrats on the hatch! I love baby ghosts, they are so cute! 

- MantisGirl13

Been a while since I posted in this thread (I have more time to get photos onto Instagram, Carlton Carnivores), but a few pics of recent developments are due: 

The first P. agrionina female has matured. The other is several molts behind still, but the male might be soon to mature

Parasphendale agrionina female by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

Next generation of H. membranacea are also maturing; hopefully these females will be a bit more fertile than their parents were

Hierodula membranacea female by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

PIV (Prey Insect View) :p

And, still haven't figured out for sure if I have a pair yet but the G. grisea are getting big enough to actually see without squinting now

Gonatista grisea by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

Gonatista grisea by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

Beautiful mantids! Congrats on all the recent molts. Your agrionina female is beautiful! 

- MantisGirl13