Heirodula in poor health after molt

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monty

Reaction score
Hey guys, my Heirodula Xishiaensis (sp?) just molted to adult, but it seems to have taken a fall since i found its exoskeleton on the floor of the tank. For the first time he refused to eat before his molt, and now he seems to just completely ignore food in spite of his thinning abdomen. He also seems to struggle climbing, as if he's suddenly too heavy to carry himself properly. There's some weakness in his leg from an earlier injury that doesn't seem to have healed, cause it snapped after a fall or two just now.

I can't get him to sit still for me to do anything about the leg, does it matter much? He can't even seem to/try to go after flies when he has all his legs.

Also, is there any way to force feed a mantis other than jamming the food in their face/mouth? Every time I show him the prey item, wave it around, put it in his face, etc. he just ignores and climbs over it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mantids normally wont eat before a molt and for a afew days after. How long has it been since he molted? Any pictures?

Its been maybe 2 days since the molt, but its been nearly a week since I've seen any appetite out of him.

These are pretty poor pics, but he's hanging onto the door right now. The leg is still attached, but flops around.

IMG_20151107_160315_204.jpg

IMG_20151107_160220_914.jpg

Try leaving the live flies in the cage and let him catch them on his own? I think moving prey can get them interested. It's how they eat food in the wild.

Or you can try and cut the head off a fly and offer him the juicy part to his mouth, carefully touching his mandibles with the fresh flesh, use a toothpick or something else that won't scare him and see if he's willing to eat it once he's tasted a little? Don't force it. Try feeding once and if he doesn't take it right away leave him alone and try the next day?

One floppy leg is not a problem as your mantis can hang, move and use his raptors. Mantids seem to adapt and manage despite their missing or messed up legs, mine did. She had problems with all six legs being bent and mangled from a molt fall and managed to eat, move and do okay somehow, eventually laying 2 Ooths.

Good luck, I'm no expert but there is a lot of information on this forum you just have to search a little for it.

Maybe try giving him some water? You can spray him so he can drink the droplets off his arms, or you can take an eye dropper and manually feed him. If he refuses or tries to move away, then leave him be. Sometimes mantises are so thirsty that they refuse to eat until they've had a good drink.

Try leaving the live flies in the cage and let him catch them on his own? I think moving prey can get them interested. It's how they eat food in the wild.

Or you can try and cut the head off a fly and offer him the juicy part to his mouth, carefully touching his mandibles with the fresh flesh, use a toothpick or something else that won't scare him and see if he's willing to eat it once he's tasted a little? Don't force it. Try feeding once and if he doesn't take it right away leave him alone and try the next day?

One floppy leg is not a problem as your mantis can hang, move and use his raptors. Mantids seem to adapt and manage despite their missing or messed up legs, mine did. She had problems with all six legs being bent and mangled from a molt fall and managed to eat, move and do okay somehow, eventually laying 2 Ooths.

Good luck, I'm no expert but there is a lot of information on this forum you just have to search a little for it.
Agreed.

He's ignored the 4-5 flies that have been living in his tank for a whole but the water's been pretty consistent. I haven't heard the idea of putting a headless fly to his mouth, but I'll definitely try that in the morning. Thanks for the help, i'll be sure browse a little harder.

You cant leave the leg like that. Most of the time they will deal with it, but if not, you may have to intervene. Leave it alone for another few days.

Try to get some honey into the mantis. And water. If your mantis is shy of you, try using skewer and give it honey with that. That may jumpstart the appetite.

Another idea; it's getting colder this time of year, what temp. is he living in? More warmth will make insects more active.

Latest posts