Hello fellow mantid enthusiasts!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerB

Reaction score
Hello all,

Praying mantises have been a favorite of mine for many, many years. When nine I kept my first one as a pet on my mother's house plants. I like pretty much all insects, snakes, lizards, and other animals. My back yard includes a 1 and a 1/2 acre meadow. Last fall I kept an eye on maybe 10 or 12 adult praying mantises. I'm looking forward to hearing your mantid stories and sharing some of mine.

Roger Barker

Middlefield, Ohio

Hi all,

Thanks for the wecomes.

jrh3, I don't knowingly keep any insect species in the house right now. They're in the back yard.

hibiscusmile, we are neighbors only separated by time. Did you know Carl and Mary Paskey in Orwell?

D Hemptress, carnivorous plants sounds like another very interesting topic. So many choices; so little time.

Thanks again for the welcome!

Roger

Welcome to Mantid Forum! I'm new too and am in Arizona. :) When you mentioned Amish Country you brought back a lot of memories from when I was growing up. ^_^ I was born in Akron, Ohio but raised in Columbus. We used to go to Plain City, Ohio which was an all Amish town. They had a big auction there on a weekend like once a month that we used to attend on a regular basis and buy antiques.

Hi all,

BugLover, I have no idea what species I'm looking at. My guess is there are more than one here in the meadow. How do I go about identifying the species?

Ladygigi, both you and hibiscusmile mentioned amish. I certainly live in amish country. More than half my neighbors on this street are amish. Mel from directly across the street sometimes comes over to use the internet to scope out new hunting spots on Google Earth. Since you like to collect bald eagles, I'll mention that two days ago I was looking out a back window and had a bald eagle fly right over me! This is only the second time I've seen one here in 12 years.

Cheers, Roger

Hi all,

BugLover, I have no idea what species I'm looking at. My guess is there are more than one here in the meadow. How do I go about identifying the species?

Ladygigi, both you and hibiscusmile mentioned amish. I certainly live in amish country. More than half my neighbors on this street are amish. Mel from directly across the street sometimes comes over to use the internet to scope out new hunting spots on Google Earth. Since you like to collect bald eagles, I'll mention that two days ago I was looking out a back window and had a bald eagle fly right over me! This is only the second time I've seen one here in 12 years.

Cheers, Roger
I went to Alaska quite a few years ago and there were Bald Eagles galore! I was in heaven. I would sit out on the porch where I was staying in the morning to drink coffee and they would be right there on the railing. I wanted to reach out and touch them!

Latest posts