Hello From Australia!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sinista

Reaction score
Hi I am knew to this forum, but not knew to the love for Mantids. I live in Queensland which has a very tropical weather and most places around where I live are pristine for mantis life. I haven't seen a mantis for years and within two days found two. One I saved, an

Archimantis latistyla a.k.a (March :Mark:)

from a large shopping centre, (it was attracted to the light) and the other a

Pseudomantis albofimbriata a.k.a (Seu :sue:)

when a friend and I Found whilst looking for food for March. I hope to post up a couple of great photos for all to see once I have "the rights" to do so. HAPPY AUSTRALIA DAY, any fellow ozzie ^_^

Welcome from Seattle!

One of the easiest ways to post your pics is to upload 'em to a free service (e.g. Photobucket) and then just embed them into your posts here using img tags. If that last part sounded confusing, I recommend using the "Share" feature on Photobucket. :)

That's awesome. Our first was a 'wild caught' T. sinensis. But they're like potato chips... you really can't just have one.

Welcome from over here in Tennessee :)

Hello everyone. I am 'The Friend' Sinista mentioned in his original post. I guess ill answer your questions.

Welcome! how big was the archimantis?
65-70mm. Hard to tell without getting him on a ruler.

Ooh, we look forward to seeing your bug friends. Welcome.
Will post them in the pictures section. Found a small male this afternoon pics of him too.

we;come, I believe there are others here.
Thanks, I hope so! we are going out completly blind on this. We "caught" and fed mantids as kids but only for entertainment. Would be nice to see some other aussies who can provide information on the native species.

Welcome from Seattle!

One of the easiest ways to post your pics is to upload 'em to a free service (e.g. Photobucket) and then just embed them into your posts here using img tags. If that last part sounded confusing, I recommend using the "Share" feature on Photobucket. :)
Thanks bro. Went an dun did that. Fingers crossed. Nice profile pic BTW. i love the curiosity in their eyes.

Welcome and good day, mate!
Cheers and cheers :batman:

Nice! I've got some Archimantis latistyla nymphs coming. :)
Awesome!! we plan on breeding asap id like to see the local native population rise, as Sinista said, we havent seen one for years (clearly havent been looking). I would love to find a pair of monstrosa, they are apparently threatened by latistyla here. Havent read up much on the sucject. They are both beautiful, big species.

Thank You. :yinyang:

That's awesome. Our first was a 'wild caught' T. sinensis. But they're like potato chips... you really can't just have one.

Welcome from over here in Tennessee :)
Oh i LOVE large mantids. How did you go with careing for it as the first time?

We have Tenodera australasiae here, very similar but not found in my region. Although i have definatly come across a few.

You are too right. Just like potato chips. We found another P. albofimbriata this afternoon. very small. oh i love mantids.

Have you ever seen Hierodula majuscula?
No. Not yet. they are rainforest dwellers to my knowledge. looks like a trip to the rainforest is in order.

Welcome to the forum! :) Happy Australia Day!!! :)
CHEERS!!

thats more like it! thanks!
Yw Hoping to get some photos up but don't have a photobucket acc. I was thinking I could just embed from Facebook? ( I use it for free media storage as well as social networking )

Latest posts