Hello from California!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pomme

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I've only ever kept locally caught species, but I've always been interested in exotic mantis. Until not too long ago I wasn't aware that people kept exotics as pets/in private collections, but since finding out some do I've been researching, and I'm hoping to one day have an exotic mantis. Aesthetically, I think that Pseudempusa pinnapavonis is my favorite, so that's my big future goal. As an individual I'm a young college student majoring in biology, and thinking about specializing in herpetology. I've always loved insects, so at a very young age I ran around telling people I wanted to be an entomologist. I sometimes still consider it, but it seems that most of the jobs people get with degrees in entomology aren't that interesting to me. I'm trying to keep my options though. I look forward to getting to know all of you, and learn more about exotic mantids, so that I can one day reach my goal.

Here are some pictures I've taken over the past 4-5 years of what I find locally. I believe all are Iris oratoria. I use to see the California mantis, but I moved to a new area in 2006, so now these are the only guys I ever see.

100_7150_zps913de9c9.jpg

100_7148_zps6566befe.jpg

2009_07140003_zps0f665f7d.jpg

023_zps7b6b1754.jpg

100_1336_zpse6dc1eb4.jpg

2009_07140059_zps5922e051.jpg

Welcome. Great pics. Bio major here myself.

Welcome to the forum from Florida! I too am looking into becoming a bio major, but more specifically, an Entomology major....

All the best,

Andrew

Love the Mediterranean's threat display. I would like to eventually keep one. Nice pictures. Welcome to the forum.

Thank you for the welcome everyone! It's so nice to see other members from California. :lol:

Latest posts