Hello from Germany

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psytallus

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

my name is Tim and I'm from Germany. I study Forestry at the moment and like to keep all kinds of invertebrates. I lurked around the forum for some time but never decided to post until now.

Since January this year I've also been keeping mantids. I started out with 5 ghosts, which I kept communally in a big terrarium. I had lots of fun caring for them and watching them grow. Unfortunately they have passed away now, except for one female which is almost 11 months old now.

Since I liked my ghosts so much I decided to get another mantis, but this time a bigger and more active one. So last week I got a female Rhombodera basalis in L6, and she's beautiful  :wub:           Compared to the ghosts she is much more aggressive and already eats subadult locusts and chases her prey through the enclosure. I'm a little worried about her moulting, though. With my ghosts I never had mismoults, but from what I've heard R. basalis sometimes has problems. Also I'm worried she might have a fungus infection or something, which I made another post about.

Except for these concerns I'm really happy with my girl and hope she does well. Also I'm glad to have finally posted here in the forums to share my passion with you guys  :)

Here are some pictures of my ghosts and shield mantis.

Cheers Tim

1_1.jpg

1-2_1.jpg

1-3_1.jpg

2_1.jpg

Welcome Tim! You've got/had some beautiful mantis. And some nice pictures as well. What camera do you use? As far as molting goes, I've never heard about any specific issues with R. Basalis... I've never kept them though. Well good luck with your mantises and if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Welcome, and amazing pictures!  Nice color variation in the ghosts too.  I haven't heard of anything specific for Rhomboderas either, but it's possible.  I think I want that to be my next species to try too but I'm trying to hold off for a few more months since I have a lot of travel coming up soon.  Good luck to you and your new mantis!

Latest posts