Hello from Vancouver Island, Canada!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clexoria

Reaction score
Hello all!

I'm brand new to the mantid world. I just hatched a Chinese green praying mantis ootheca in a 10 gallon terrarium. I'm feeding fruit flies and having fun watching them hunt. Can't wait to learn more about these awesome creatures! 

Somewhere between 150 and 200!

Not really sure what to do with all of them now!? I have lots of flies but what should I feed them when the mantids get bigger? And when do I need to separate them? 

Wow! Lot of mouths to feed. 😀

If you have them in an enclosure that large, I would wait to separate when they reach L3 or L4. There will be a little cannablism, but it will weed out the weak and feed the strong. As they get older, you'll need to start using larger feeders like house flies, blue bottle flies, or roaches. Are Chinese mantids native in your area? 

They are not native to my area. I have been requested not to release the females around here as they can kill local hummingbirds. 

Check out the timelapse video of them hatching! I think it's just awesome! Took it on June 1st

Great video! I love hatch day. 😁

You might want to add some greenery to give them places to hang out and hide. It will help cut down on cannablism... but sounds like you're going to have plenty to spare. It's going to be a challenge to find homes for all of them. 

I did add some branches with leaves from my willow tree right shortly after the video and they seem quite happy for the time being 😊 

Hello all!

I'm brand new to the mantid world. I just hatched a Chinese green praying mantis ootheca in a 10 gallon terrarium. I'm feeding fruit flies and having fun watching them hunt. Can't wait to learn more about these awesome creatures! 
Welcome! Toronto here!

Glad you've joined us.

-c

Latest posts