Hello! New fan from PA

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zemata

Reaction score
Hey all. Just wanted to stop in and say hi and ask a few questions. Apologies if this is the wrong subforum.

I've been reading and watching about mantids online for a few days now. It started with a video of an Orchid Mantis and I just couldn't stop studying them. I had no idea there were so many species and how interesting the creatures actually are! Now I'd like to try my hand at raising them.

Alright so here's my questions. Bear with me as I have a lot! I'm pretty sure I got the environmental requirements covered, but don't know how to go about obtaining food or what species is best for me.

Before anything does anyone know if PA law prohibits keeping of exotic mantids? All I could find was mention of several larger mammals and birds.

So far I really like the looks of the ghost, all the flower species (beautiful eyes!), and the idolomantis (which I know is for seasoned mantis keepers). I'd like a species that is calm and will let me handle and observe it, but not a lazy uninteresting one. I don't want one that is jumpy or tends to fly because I'm scared to lose it (and I have cats D: ). Lastly I'd prefer a female to a male because they're larger and live longer. Are any of the species I listed good for me?

That brings me to the next question. I've found three websites with a good variety to buy mantids from.

http://www.mantiskingdom.com/

http://www.mantisplace.com

http://www.mantispets.com/ (Thinking about getting the flower mantis starter kit here. thoughts?)

does anyone have a preferrence or suggestion of which to buy from? Any specific details or tips on ordering? I'd like to get mine as young as possible so I can observe it growing. Can you pick gender of the nymphs or do you have to get lucky for the one you want?

Lastly (for now) I am concerned about where to get a steady supply of feeder insects. My local pet shops carry flightless fruit fly cultures, but I only plan on owning 1 mantis for now and possibly 3 in the future. Where is the best and easiest and most consistent source of flys?

Thanks a lot to whomever takes the time to help me get started! Sorry if I'm asking too much, I've just been completely fascinated by these bugs recently. Also please tell me any other vital or interesting bits or experiences I should know. I'm really looking forward to having one of these beauties standing on my hand!

mantiskingdom.com is in the UK by the way.

ghost are probally one of the best starters in my opinion. My second choice would be a creobroter species. Look them up

You can buy flies at both of the US sites. When all of the flies hatch put them in the fridge and they will fall asleep. Then plop them in the mantids cage. It will purk up and start buzzing again

They can last a month in the fridge

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah ok. How are ghosts when you handle them? I've read they have some unique and quirky movements. Also what is the best way to go about handling a mantis? Do you just hold your hand out and coax them on? Do they have to be used to you from early age?

They do there little wiggle dance. They are a very gentle species! Slow and not jumpy at all. I kind of scoop them up by nudging them onto my hand. They dont neew to know you persay, but if handled when young it will be less inclined to jump/fly when older. As it will be used to u. I found a stagmomantis species on my privet shrub outside and once I put it on my hand it jump to my stomach and climbed on my head.If I handed her when she was young she might have been used to it.

Welcome! glad to see you here! I go with the little ghost too, it is a nice beginner mantis and you will enjoy it, no flying away and you can get your feet wet on it.

welcome, I started with two ghosts one male and one female they were about L5 when I bought them.

I fed them exclusivly wild caught flies (I got them in July or August) until winter forced me to start buying pupa online.

I have used mantisplace and mantis pets and have recieved great service from both but mantispets is who I order from the most.

I have found that the easiest way to maintain a steady supply of food is to order Blue Bottle "spikes" or magotts, they last longer in the fridge.

there are a few threads that go into detail on how to get the maggots to turn into pupa, store in fridge then set out to "eclose" or hatch.

I prefer to then keep them in a feeding enclosure a few dyas (feed honey each day) before feeding them to my mantids.

crickets can be used in a pinch for ghosts but do require some coaching for them to take it.

so....I do recommend ghosts as starter species...just follow the care sheets

Welcome! Nice to see a new member do some research for a change!

I would say start with ghosts or creos. Good luck!

Thanks again guys! Ive been to petco twice now and both stores I asked about mantids looked at me like I'm crazy and advised against it. One employee said its illegal so I just nodded my head and said "oh yeah?". They're making me secone guess getting into this, but I bought a container, thermometer, humidity meter, and that coconut substrate stuff. Still need a heat pad (the one they had didn't list a temperature and was at a fixed setting), and a squirt bottle.

Thanks again guys! Ive been to petco twice now and both stores I asked about mantids looked at me like I'm crazy and advised against it. One employee said its illegal so I just nodded my head and said "oh yeah?". They're making me secone guess getting into this, but I bought a container, thermometer, humidity meter, and that coconut substrate stuff. Still need a heat pad (the one they had didn't list a temperature and was at a fixed setting), and a squirt bottle.
I would say stay away from heat pads. Get a heat lamp instead.

dont worry about the legality, just keep a low profile.

Also before purchasing a mantis from a wesite post a "Wanted" add here at mantid forum. I got my first ghosts (a sexed pair at L-5) for $20.00 and because I found someone local I did not have to pay shipping.

by sending P.M. to members in my area I have been able to aquire (almost) all my mantids local with no shipping...along the way I have made "friends" with some locals and this opens the door to future trades etc.

as far as being jumpy all the mantids i have kept so far have not been jumpy except 2 :Sinomantis or glass mantis is so small and jumpy I have to clear counterspace in case I have to give chase....then my male Creo P. was prone to flying and spooked easier then my previous male. But then He was shipped from back east and maybe had not gotten used to his new home. My male ghost would only fly if a stranger sort of freaked him out.

I have not had a female "fly" but my Sp. Lineola would "flutter" about if I spooked her (rare)

Latest posts