HELLO!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I got this email from someone the other day who purchased a mantis for 10.00

I bout one of your Mantis's. And a little black on came with it. And as soon as i put them in the habbitat the one i payed 35 dollars for was EATIN!!! By the little one. I will never purchase another from ________________________.

Then I wrote this back:

Sorry to hear that you put them together, they eat bugs and thats what they are, the little black one is probably a ghost mantis, try to enjoy it anyways

Then someone a parent I guess wrote this:

That was my son that purchased these bugs. The whole thing has really kind of mad me angry. $35.00 for a bug! $25.00 for shipping! Got any idea how hard a 15yr. old kid has to work to earn $35? Pretty hard. You sent them in a styrofoam container. I can buy about 50 of those containers for about a dollar. He ordered one, you sent two. You should have sent something in there that said not to put them together. What an absolute rip-off. Really disappointed in the service, will not purchase from you again.

So I wrote this back today:

You know I did tell him I was sorry, and really I am a grandmother and I think I know how hard money is to come by. I sent it in a INSULATED CUP, that protects it from heat and cold, you will find that no one bothers to use such a nice cup to ship a mantis, most use whatever they can find around their house to ship them in. I purchase my supplies, because my mantis are important to me. I spend 7 days a week EVERY day caring for my mantis and my company. I also sent a mantis that was worth 2 times the price of the one he purchased, that was to insure if something happened to one, he would still have one to enjoy. I would also say, that one who wants a pet, should do some research on it before buying it. Surely most people would not buy a kitten without having an idea of what it would need to eat and survive, next time maybe a little homework would be a good idea. I do hope he will take care of the mantis that is left and not let it suffer because you people are angry with me over something I had no control over.

Me again: I do not plan on writing them back again, some people are hopeless, is this how america thinks today? that they should have whatever they want and if it is not perfect then someone is at fault , but surely not them.

I buy my cups and they come 25 in a pack, then u have to buy the lids, they are 100 in a pack, so u then have to buy 3 more cup packs to use all the lids, thats for the 8 oz. the 6 oz has 50 cups and still 100 lids in a pack so once again, u have to buy another pack of cups, I buy them in a case for about 25.00 bucks for them. Then there is the tissue paper,. what is it, 8.00 for 6 rolls, yea u get about what 150 sheets to a roll, this is the expensive stuff, not what I buy for us, we use the 1000 sheets scott tissue (which by the way, they have found a way to give you less without you knowing it, the tolit paper roll is almost 1" shorter that it was a couple months ago, notice how it does not fit the whole spindle anymore) but I digress..... so we buy and use the cheap stuff, where the mantis get the good stuff so I can make sure they are safe and have something strong to hold onto, also the lids to the 8 oz cups, have the coffee opening, and the paper makes sure they won't slip thru the hole.

I guess I just had to get this off my chest, I dont usually have any problems with customers, at least not like this, I forget to add something now and then, oldhimers :lol: u know, but anyone who spends the time and money I do for their products takes it really hard when someone throws a fit as this person did. :(

What do you guys think?

You did nothing wrong, so don't let it bother you too much. I've found you just can't please everyone all the time, but this is just a silly person that didn't want there kid to have a mantis in the first place I think.

If it wasn't for you raising mantis would be alot harder for me, and I for one THANK YOU! :)

You did nothing wrong, so don't let it bother you too much. I've found you just can't please everyone all the time, but this is just a silly person that didn't want there kid to have a mantis in the first place I think.

If it wasn't for you raising mantis would be alot harder for me, and I for one THANK YOU! :)
And a big plus one on that!

I do feel sorry for the kid, both for losing the mantis that he had drooled over and for an over protective parent who lacked the sense (obviously a family trait) to make sure that he knew something about mantids before investing all that money --we live in a society where everything has to be EASY!! and insects haven't caught on yet -- then showing his/her support, not by doing anything constructive but by blasting you.

What impresses me, though,is how upset you got over this. You have to have a big heart and big feelings to get hurt that much. I think that my tiny emotional response would have been, "Poor kid. Perhaps I should send him a replacement, even though I wasn't in the wrong. No that's not a good idea. He'll write back in a week saying "I fed my new mantis on fresh cat food that cost me $12 and he still died", and his mom/dad would write to say "My son is only 15, why didn't you tell him to take the cat food out of the bag first?" :D

Here's to you, Rebecca!

Rebecca: You can only take it so long, and this reponse has probably been coming on for some time. I am sure you get these kinds of dumb comments via email, even from those of us who know better, and even know you. I am surely thankful that you hang in there month after month, suffering sleep deprivation, lack of appreciation for the things that you do well (many even I am aware of), ailments and all that come with being the age of a grandparent, poor USPS service (of course that is your fault), buyers are never poor planners (LOL). Dar, you are an ALLSTAR, and there is not one person on the forum who has not read your postings and appreciated your humor, knowledge, ability to balance advise with just good kidding, and all the good service you provide, so to quote the late and great actor Humphrey, "cheer up shweet haaaart". You are a survivor and we need you to do that.

Have a good weekend,

Rich S

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that my tiny emotional response would have been, "Poor kid. Perhaps I should send him a replacement, even though I wasn't in the wrong. No that's not a good idea. He'll write back in a week saying "I fed my new mantis on fresh cat food that cost me $12 and he still died", and his mom/dad would write to say "My son is only 15, why didn't you tell him to take the cat food out of the bag first?" :D

Here's to you, Rebecca!
:lol: You really crack me up sometimes Phil ! :lol:

How dare you give my son free stuff! He only gets what he paid for, not a mantis more!

I really wouldn't let this get to you. The styrofoam cups have insured I've never had a problem with your shipping. If they really cared they could have read one of the many care-sheets on your site, or *gasp* sent you a question via email.

So did this 15 year old send a check or use his paypal? How was it paid for? Someone had to pay for it somehow and that person is probably the parent crying, "my poor child". No worries, Rebecca. You're still one of my favorites. Even if you steal from children.
laugh.gif

Just out of curiosity, do all orders come with a free ghost? :D I always find it funny when customers write angry emails because of a bad first experience. They make themselves appear so important and you can almost feel as if they are asking for something in return or to see if you'll budge. The situation is also amusing to me because I personally would be writing you a fat thank you letter for the extra ghost even if it ate my original mantis. Anyway, keep up the passion and don't let naive kids/parents break you down. Cheers!

I TOTALLY agree that the kid should have read the care sheet if he didn't already. If it was a non-communal mantis, he would have read it on a care sheet. I've been to your website and the care sheets are great. ;) BTW I don't trust MOST kids my age (14 and around there) with bugs since most of them don't give a dang about feeding them. DON'T JUDGE ME, I TAKE GREAT CARE OF MY MANTIDS (Feed them a lot every day, mist frequently, keep them hot, etc.)!!! But hey, he was a customer and he paid for it anyway. He also needs to work on his typing... :lol: Not your fault he put them together, so don't feel bad. ;)

LOL @ the small mantis ate the bigger one

ahahahahaaaaa

so sorry ahahaaaa

your still awesome rebecca

Thanks, you guys are great! I went to see his order and it was a chinese, which surprises me as it was bigger than the ghost!

sppc9876 , I don't always send ghost, but whatever is lost or hatching out of control and that the past 2 mts could be ghost, creos, mios, papas, and so on, I just try to send something different for them to enjoy and I know most people like the ghost!

Yea, I could not even understand him at first, I had to keep reading it and when I gathered the black one ate the one he paid for, I realized what he ment! One would think you would be glad, but I guess things are different today, I mean if I buy a lincoln and the dealer sends me a caddy, well I be one happy girl! :lol:

I am pitiful, ain't I? I can't stop thinking about it when someone is unhappy, whether my fault or theirs, it is always a pain to make myself let it go. My favorite saying to myself is,,,, "Hibiscuy, U did not get up this morning and look in the mirror and argue with yourself:"! Someone else started it! that always makes me feel better, I am a pushover! :lol:

Phil, u r so right! Its a wonder they could get them out of the box! Never ceases to amaze me what some people think... like letting that Anthony girl go! aw nuts!

Yea Patrik, his mother paid for it.

Vinifera, that is funny, " not a mantis more!"

You are very responsible for 14 Idolofreak!

Rich, I do so love Boggy!

Angelofdeath, thanks, I appreaciate that and all your responses today, I really needed a pick me up!

Funniest thread in a long time! Cat Food!

Yeah, for SURE don't let it get under your skin. You'll have a dozen posts of support by the end of the day.

I deal with parents every day, and thE VAST majority are overjoyed. But that ONE parent... EuueEEHhhwww! They start and end their days hostile. When you talk to them face to face, you can see it's not about what's on the table. I LOVE the reasonable complaints, and reward them heavily, in a tiny attempt to offset the gains those angry yell-til-you-get-your-way parents keep making.

I also enjoy offering the numbers to my competitors when I can see they aren't interested in solutions - just venting or demanding.

So, keep the faith! Feel yucky for a few minutes (to get it out of your system), then go spread some love!

(Experiment: See how many nice things you need to do before you feel like you're back to normal again. I've got it down to about 3. When my staff review an angry parent situation, I interrupt them from their story and send them to Starbucks. Then they come back with a smile, and time to think it through. We both have a different attitude when the conversation continues).

Haha, wrong continent! take me away ..............wwwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, that was fun!

Starbucks huh! never been there, maybe I will go on my way to my new continent! :p

Some grammar from a 15 year old! I hope she mistyped it and he's actually five.

It scares me that this kid will be behind the wheel of a car in a year.

A few fun things to point out:

-She's complaining about the price of the mantid, so why buy it? I think designer blue jeans are too expensive, so I don't waste my money on them.

-$35 is a few hours at a minimum wage job, cutting grass, shoveling snowy driveways, etc. I hope this 15 year old doesn't work himself to the bone for that mantis!

-If you don't like the cost, get off your computer chair and look in a field or meadow. Most states have Chinese mantids.

-Some assumptions made by the customer-

*Free items are now a bad thing and a rip off

*Though stamps cost money, getting a package shipped

next day air is free.

I received this from the customer today, naw, just went and looked, I was not on pc since yesterday, so it came then.

LOL! Seriously, WE people did do our research. But, we had no clue why two were sent when we only purchased one. A simple note would have been sufficient. I was a vet tech for 15 yrs. and would not let any creature suffer because I was angry with someone. The fact that you think I would just tells me how ignorant you are. No reply necessary.

I replied back: that it states on my site that I send an extra, so much for research! :blink: