HELP! ARMS STICK DURING MOLT.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MuscleMantis

Reaction score
He just started molting sometime in the night. but the female is done and looks great but i believe he is stuck and something went wrong. ANY help would be nice.

thank you

20160304_112729.jpg

how did this ever happen? i think i have had this experience and it turned out bad for me... sorry man
i read something about this happening because of them not getting enough water. but i mist every morning. so idk. i hope he will be alright. his arms might be messed up for a while and i will have to hand feed him if he pulls through.

I had a mantis that had its back legs stuck in its old skin and what I did was have the mantis try to walk away while I helped the back legs free and she or he is now a healthy L5. but I don't know if it will work for raptorial arms. If your mantids arms get free they may be unable to be used but you could still try hand feeding.

I had a mantis that had its back legs stuck in its old skin and what I did was have the mantis try to walk away while I helped the back legs free and she or he is now a healthy L5. but I don't know if it will work for raptorial arms. If your mantids arms get free they may be unable to be used but you could still try hand feeding.
yes i have already gave him some honey for strength and an energy boost as well to help with any infections that may occur. he also drank some water. so im staying positive and hope he makes it. hes sti;; pretty active with his arms immobile. i cut them apart so he could at least move a little better. but there still stuck. but he takes to hand feeding nicely.

Good to hear! :lol:   when his exoskeleton is harder try hand feeding him an insect, a mantis can't survive on just honey.  :tt2:

Good to hear! :lol:   when his exoskeleton is harder try hand feeding him an insect, a mantis can't survive on just honey.  :tt2:
i kno that was just for today to help him get a boost and feel better XD. i feed them 24 hours after a molt

thank you every one who sent me messages and helped me out. he is completely out of his old skin. though he cant really move his arms he seems happier and able to move better. ^_^

Glad to hear he was able to free himself.
thumbup.gif

Indeed the raptor forearms would have hardened inside leading to issues; however, if you can continue to feed him and keep him going till his next molt it should solve his issues. Also he may gain some more usage of them within a few days, as he learns to use what he has now. It is strange it was his forearms as those are the first thing they typically pull out as they start to come out of their old exoskeleton. Seems like he might of had a issue before the molting.