Hierodula majuscula care?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are from the rainforest, though it doesn't hurt to be careful. What are Yen's suggestions by the way? I like to get input from various folks.

Mine have been kept with my orchids at 80 degrees / 80 rh.. Has been growing beautifully

My batch been doing well around 50% and up, i have them in net cage. Few mismolts in last stage but i have seen more for this generation, still less than 10%. Breeding is more of the concern as not every female is fertile after pairing.

Mine have been kept with my orchids at 80 degrees / 80 rh.. Has been growing beautifully
he gets along with orchids? cool!!! :) why do peeps keep hierodulas so humid? mine do fine at 55% or so

My batch been doing well around 50% and up, i have them in net cage. Few mismolts in last stage but i have seen more for this generation, still less than 10%. Breeding is more of the concern as not every female is fertile after pairing.
do u pair females up multiple times???

just had a female moult to pre sub in 30% humidity. she is huge! 2.5 inches. i will get a pic of her next to a ruler soon. i cant believe it myself!

he gets along with orchids? cool!!! :) why do peeps keep hierodulas so humid? mine do fine at 55% or so
I keep most of my animals together. So most of my animals are kept at same rh.

Excluding afew species.

Good to know. I have been looking for a care sheet for this species. Received some of these guys in the mail the other day. Some are little and green and some are a slightly larger and more of a brownish color. Is this common for this species or are they different instars? They all molted already.

just had a female moult to pre sub in 30% humidity. she is huge! 2.5 inches. i will get a pic of her next to a ruler soon. i cant believe it myself!
I was about to say they do not require much care.Yours molted around 30% which is fairly low.I have never tried to raise them below 40%.This very low humidity rate just confirms how easy they are regarding growth.As Yen mentionned,issues may come when they reach adulhoodt:unfertility,oothbound,random deaths....

I am not sure yet but I believe food is important.I fed my adults on roaches and they did not live very long....

do u pair females up multiple times???
that's the goal. a single pairing normaly isn't enough is my understanding. in fact I'm going to take my pair and add them to a 12x24 new for copulation and keep the male there for a week before removal. tons of food will be added to help protect the male. if I deside to keep them together forever, I'll move them to a 24x48 net cage with live plants and vines. I'm sure that is enough room for the male to fly away if needed.

Harry

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts