HIerodula majuscula

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yen_saw

Forum Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The first mating attempt on adult pair from new generation was a disaster. Adult male seems to take at least 2 weeks to have the courage to mate.

I left the female in the cage with the male, turn around to look for my camera but was attracted to something else hatching. By the time I got back (after few minutes later)....

hmcanni01.jpg

Soon the thorax snapped and the female continued feeding on the male's lower body

hmcanni03.jpg

This was what's left....

hmcanni02.jpg

....and we have a plump female

hmcanni04.jpg

Thanks all. Luckily I have extra males. Few days later I put the same female into another male's cage. This time I have closer look. The male jumped on to the female soon.

hmmate03.jpg

The male tried to connect but didn't work, at least for the first day.

hmmate01.jpg

hmmate02.jpg

I was worried about leaving them alone but the next day I found the male alive and connected :clap:

hmmate04.jpg

Hi Yen,

I wanted to email you about my pair but you then had an ad in the classifides and I knew you would be busy answering all of them.

anyway, I took a chance yesterday and my male just wanted to play with me and not jump on the female that was feeding on a big roach. so last night I moved the male into my living room to be as far away from my female. I may do this for about a week, then try again.

she is over 3 weeks and he is maybe just 2 weeks old, as adults.

Yen, if you remember I wasn't too sure if I should get them as I'm not normally into the bigger guys. but this male (and female at first) just loves to come out and play with me...and a friend of mine who fell in love with them. my male loves to play so much that he wont eat if I'm around and would rather play.

thy used to be kept right next to each other and even when I would add a devider so they couldn't see each other, they still somehow know where each other is and you will find them looking at each other WITH A STYROFOME DEVIDER BETWEEN THE CAGES!!!!!!!

anyway, I hope that the seperation will help. I MUST have babies from them. they are the best. I'm so happy that you sent this pair to me.

now tell my male to get busy because my female is fatter then yours!!!!!!

Harry

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of skittish male. This is the male which eventually mated with another female recently. When i introduced the female into the cage, he showed sign of agression.

hmmtp01.jpg

hmmtp02.jpg

Thanks Henry. Yes the sooner the male hop on the female, the better chance he will survive mating. But male seems to be skittish if they are less than 2 weeks after the last molt.
I'd be skittish too facing that behemoth!! Congrats on the connection

Hi Yen,

I wanted to email you about my pair but you then had an ad in the classifides and I knew you would be busy answering all of them.

anyway, I took a chance yesterday and my male just wanted to play with me and not jump on the female that was feeding on a big roach. so last night I moved the male into my living room to be as far away from my female. I may do this for about a week, then try again.

she is over 3 weeks and he is maybe just 2 weeks old, as adults.

Yen, if you remember I wasn't too sure if I should get them as I'm not normally into the bigger guys. but this male (and female at first) just loves to come out and play with me...and a friend of mine who fell in love with them. my male loves to play so much that he wont eat if I'm around and would rather play.

thy used to be kept right next to eachother and even when I would add a devider so they couldn't see eachother, they still somehow know where each other is and you will find them looking at each other WITH A STYROFOME DEVIDER BETWEEN THE CAGES!!!!!!!

anyway, I hope that the seperation will help. I MUST have babies from them. they are the best. I'm so happy that you sent this pair to me.

now tell my male to get busy because my female is fatter then yours!!!!!!

Harry
Yeah i have noticed adult males tend to move a lot, which is true in the wild when they actively searching for females. I am glad you are having fun with the mantis, they are great species. Females often overfed and have abdomen that seem too heavy to carry, I would stop feeding her.

Thanks Henry. Yes the sooner the male hop on the female, the better chance he will survive mating. But male seems to be skittish if they are less than 2 weeks after the last molt.
Good to know. I'd been holding off for 2 weeks just to be sure.

I never saw this before - both my pair had final molt on the same night! Male went first then the female molted as he was inflating his wings.

Also thought you might like to see this photos of the male flexing his mouth parts during molt. Female was doing the same. You can get a good look at how complex the mouth is and even see the mandibles.

Amajusculaa-mmolt_9183-sm.jpg

Latest posts