honey?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Findarato

Reaction score
I was quite astonished my Hierodula won't miss any drops of honey, she seems to love that, even if she is not hungry for crickets. How much should I give her? it seems she has no limit for honey, but maybe it is not good for her.

She also prefers all kinds of moths and nightly butterflies to a cricket. But it will become more difficult to find those, at this time of the year. I can imagine, they are more convenient to eat, because they are softer.

Mantids are designed to eat other insects, not honey.

Mantids are designed to eat other insects, not honey.
Sense they Eat bees and honey is like bee throw up right do you think they Ever Eat a bee and find a sweet little treat inside? :lol: Is it actually bad for them to just have a little honey, I saw on youtube one Eating some jam.

Just feed some honey to the feeders. Then the mantis will get a little surprise inside it's prey. :D
That is why I put some honey into the enclosure anyway. The crickets like it, as I assumed. But the mantis smelled it and followed her 'nose' until I found her sucking in the honey droplet from the wall. Therefore my question if honey might be bad for her digestion if consumed directly.

Sense they Eat bees and honey is like bee throw up right do you think they Ever Eat a bee and find a sweet little treat inside? :lol: Is it actually bad for them to just have a little honey, I saw on youtube one Eating some jam.
Most stuff you see on the internet in regards to mantids is bad advice.

Honey eaten directly by a mantis is not harmful, but the mantis's gut needs space for protein!

The concept of a "treat" is purely human, but mantises do seem to be attracted to honey as an easily digested energy boost.

Latest posts