Housing size

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdsnuts

Reaction score
Hello All,

What would be the smallest yet comfortable sized house for my new pet. It's on it's sixth of seventh molt at this point and is a little over two inches long. Currently he is in the cage he hatched in, which is a cylindrical enclosure that was sold in a "mantis kit". It's probably about a foot or so high and maybe 10 or 11" across.

Would that be big enough for a full sized adult?

Yes, it would, cdsnuts. Make sure that the decorations wouldn't interfere with molting (too high and horizontal, and the nymph may not have enough room to molt), and then you're good to go!

Thanks to both of you. I'm trying to locate another type of enclosure like this for my others. Can't find it anywhere local at the moment. I transfered one of my biggest into a kritter keeper but this morning when I checked him I noticed he had broken his front leg right off at the beginning of the forearm. I'm going to assume this happened from trying to hard to climb the sides. He's been in there for a couple days and he just doesn't look comfortable. He can only hang upside down and I think it's annoying him.

Also....I noticed that the ones in the cylindrical enclosures rarely if ever go onto the sticks I have in there. They prefer to hang on the sides 99% of the time. Either that or on the ground when they're really hungry. Are they decorations even necessary?

In the housing thread there is some really innovative ideas on containers. I glue gun sticks to the side and sometimes the top of enclosures like this.... Make sure there is enough ventilation also :)I Use the shelf liner for the mantids to climb on the sides.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also....I noticed that the ones in the cylindrical enclosures rarely if ever go onto the sticks I have in there. They prefer to hang on the sides 99% of the time. Either that or on the ground when they're really hungry. Are they decorations even necessary?
When the mantis is molting to adult, it is good to have a perch on the side for them to grab if it is necessary to prevent falling if they lose their ceiling grip. That is why I use the decorations, besides they look pretty for display.

Latest posts