How does a mantis know where the head of an insect is?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mine just eat away till they eat through the bit that holds the wings on then the wings just fall to the ground . they dont " Snip " them off . they dont eat them because they have no nutritinal value compared to the rest of the meal ! well thats what ive observed for 4 months !

Neil

I know this slightly veers from the point but one of you guys mentioned statistical analysis and it reminded me of something i read in a book (grasshoppers and mantids of the world).

A study was mentioned where mantids were fed bad tasting milkweed bugs (if i remember correctly) in which the mantis would disgard the bug after a few bites. Then, non bad-tasting beetles of similar size were painted with the same colouration as the milkweed bugs and the mantis ignored them.

Obviously this is only from someone elses studies and documentation but it would suggest that they have a basic capacity to learn.

p.s. thats a cool article in the link ian posted where the mantid ate the hummingbird.

It makes you realise how strong insects are for their size.

Poor bird though. :shock: thats life...

i think i may have sussed why some people have observed them targeting the head area. The mantis presumably has sensors on its legs that can tell when the prey is not gripped properly, ie when the bigger part of it is flapping around and not properly secured. It would just have to compare signals from each leg to know the direction of this movement. The motion thus analized, if too large, simply stimulates a change of grip to grap the part that's moving too much, which of course will likely be the thorax/head end rather than the abdomen. It may then start feeding there.

This may explain why it may APPEAR like the mantis can recognise the head end by it BEING the head end and not simply it being the part struggling most. In large dangerous victims, when the mantis is likely to start off grabbing hold with both legs of one half or the other, if it grips the abdomen end first it may need to shift its grip to the front later. On small victims, its original grip will most likely control its whole body, so there is no loose part that needs to be 'captured', hence the observations that they start feeding anywhere in some instances.

sorry if ive duplicated anyones idea, i have not gone through every post yet. cheers

Latest posts