How I make fruit fly medium!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made 5 cultures on Monday and now maggots are all over the melanogaster cultures. The hydei cultures have just a few small maggots crawling around.

Great to hear that it's working for you! I love using this medium, I get really good results form it.

Oh and when i checked the culture yesturday there is maggots!!! :D , and all the flys are still alive :p

Your hydei culture should start growing fast. I use this medium for both my melanogaster & hydei. Both species of flies do very well with this medium. I too made some medium on Monday. :)

I made 5 cultures on Monday and now maggots are all over the melanogaster cultures. The hydei cultures have just a few small maggots crawling around.

Somehow I missed this post, how embarrasing...

I think I'll try it, though I don't even culture my own yet. We need to get you to research some easy housefly breeding stuff.

To raise house flies, go to spiderpharm.com, Chuck has a net system he sells to customers. His flies are for the smaller housefly, not the bigger blue bottle fly.

CHEERS!!!

Nick Barta\

Mantisplace.com

i used your recipe.... in less than a week loads of maggots but REALLY lots....

THANKS

To raise house flies, go to spiderpharm.com, Chuck has a net system he sells to customers. His flies are for the smaller housefly, not the bigger blue bottle fly.CHEERS!!!

Nick Barta\

Mantisplace.com
What about your cup-o-mantis Nick? Can that be used for blues?

Great to hear! It does take hydei culture a little more time to breed. But they have been doing well in this medium for me. I Get hundreds of flies out of it.

The melanogaster cultures' larvae have already pupated but the hydei cultures' larvae are still tiny.

I now sell the medium ready made. So anybody that does not want to make it can just get some from my website & I'll make it for you. ;)

I've been doing research on Masa & the difference is that flour does don't have Lime. The lime acts like a fungicide as well.

quote="Ben.M"]

I now sell the medium ready made. So anybody that does not want to make it can just get some from my website & I'll make it for you. ;)
I might just do that.

A word of advice: don't try flour.
Seconded :? ' date=' i tried that a while ago[/quote']

Latest posts