How much space do they need?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B-mantis999

Reaction score
I have four mantids in a 10 gal. tank and I plan on seperating them once they get a little bigger. What would you suggest for one or two mantids to co-exsist together? What would be to big what would be to small? Should I house them individually or is a pair of male/ female OK?

Do not house mantids together or you will end up with one eventually. Smaller is better as long as the mantis has room. They need at LEAST double their length vertically and need enough horizontal room to comfortably turn around.

It does depend on the species as to whether they can be kept together.
Yes and no. While some can be kept together ok they all will eat each other. It is best not to house any together. I keep newborn nymphs together for awhile but that is it.

Yes and no. While some can be kept together ok they all will eat each other. It is best not to house any together. I keep newborn nymphs together for awhile but that is it.
Well yes and no to your reply also it all depends on if you feed them well or leave them hungry. I have had 4 ghost mantids from L1 all the way to sub adult and they are still all alive and well. But then again chinese mantids will devour each other because there is no way to keep all of them alive in one container i think.

With a ten gallon tank, it's more of a question of how much space do they want. Depending on the size of these guys, you'll want to split them up pretty soon. I'm not saying you have to have the bare mininum for a cage, but make sure they can catch their food, and make sure the cage can mantain humidity.

I notice that adult males and wild mantises (from outside) like more room or else they'll look like they're always trying to escape.

=

i noticed chinese mantids can never have enough room/but orchids or ghost dont need alot of room..its pointless..there never move!!!

Latest posts