How to control temperature of an enclosure?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melophile

Reaction score
I currently have two Carolina mantises, which is a beginner species and aren't that high maintenance, but I want to start getting into intermediate species of praying mantises, such as flower mantises.

I keep my two Carolina mantises in room temperature, which is around 25-28°C, but I read that some of the more intermediate species like high temperatures of around 35-40°C, then around 20-25°C at night. How would I control the temperature of the enclosure? For heat, I could get a heat lamp, but how would I make the enclosure cooler? Is there some sort of lamp that can emit cold?

Last edited by a moderator:
dont waste your money...i keep everything room temp and i have 11 species. I find the 70's to work just fine and about 60% humidity...everyone's happy ; )

Last edited by a moderator:
A heat lamp will put out way too much heat unless your house is near freezing, and a cold lamp does not exist.

For heat a simple adjustable desk lamp with a 60watt bulb (or whatever you use) is best. Just adjust how close the lamp is to their habitat to alter the temperature. Actual lighting can be done with the desk lamp too, or use a florescent light with a daylight bulb as it will not alter the temperature and provide great lighting for your mantids and any plants if you decide to do a terrarium too. I use a florescent and it helps show of their colors. :)

To cool the tank you can adjust the room thermostat (that's why some keepers have a "bug room" so they can adjust the temps as they need) to cool the room they are in, with a programmable thermostat for day/night temps. Or if you have some spare cash get a small portable AC unit.

There are simple tricks you can do to help as well. For example if the temps are typically too hot, move your mantids to a lower shelf or a lower (downstairs) room in your house. Do the opposite if it's too cold - move them higher on a shelf or to a higher (upstairs) room.

Just know mantids do not sweat, so a fan will not cool them off like they do humans. A fan can however circulate the air in the room stabilizing the temperature though.

I tend to keep my living area in the 73 - 75°F (23-24°C) area typically year round and haven't had to worry about temperatures with any of the species I've kept. Seems room temperature is fine for the majority of mantids - and I have Indian flower mantids (Creobroter pictipennis) too.

Latest posts