How to say '' mantis '' in different languages!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't get it Yen, on my screen the caracters all look like square boxes, is that how they look to you guys? Or r u just pulling me legs?
Actually chinese words are all square boxes and drawings..... no i am kidding ;) could be the encoding issue on your computer Rebecca. If you click 'View' and go to 'Encoding' you can chose the languages.

Hahaha Yen. Bad sign if you use Tongkat Ali lol. The Orang Asli will use Mentadak but they have their own native tongue for it. I'm not sure what that is but they do know what Mentadak is. When we went there we showed them photos of the mantids that we're looking for, made it a whole lot easier.

Thanks Yen, but it didn't work, wants a disk I don't have..... :angry: ps and I have seen Chinese before and knew u were pulling my legs! :rolleyes:
aww bummer :( wow you understand chinese! Hmmm so now i have to be careful writing in chinese about hibiscusmile or .... :p oh boy santa is watching i better behave :rolleyes:

Hahaha Yen. Bad sign if you use Tongkat Ali lol. The Orang Asli will use Mentadak but they have their own native tongue for it. I'm not sure what that is but they do know what Mentadak is. When we went there we showed them photos of the mantids that we're looking for, made it a whole lot easier.
Ai yoo... hopefully no need Tongkat Ali for the rest of my life :D Good thinking on the photos!! If the Aboriginal understands Mentadak hopefully they will also understand my broken Malay :)

Japanese: kamakiri( かまきり ), tourou( とうろう )
I hope you aren't kidding and put the characters for 'fat bastard' or some such saying! ;) :lol: :lol:

But that's the only one I know off the top of my head.

Someone also put up the spanish word for mantis a while back...

In Arabic there's a couple of terms for mantis but I prefer فرس النبي (Faris an-Nabiy) which means The Prophet's Mare.

Interesting few languagaes here relates mantis to their god, must be the way the front legs folded up like praying. The Malay think mantis head is always facing towards Mecca which is the direction for the muslim when praying.

.....and Yen, does wifey know u playing on the computer?
haha Rebecca, yep told her I am learning how to say mantis with different languagaes :p Wanna learn cantonese from my wife? She can send you some Hong Kong movies :lol: that's how i pick up my cantonese, although for some reason it was the bad word that's easier to pick up first :lol:

in case youre wondering....The word '' mantis''( in english) means '' prophet'' or '' soothsayer'' in greek!
My daughter named one of our mantids Prophecy. Of course, she also named some of the others Fortune, Nostradamus, Tarot, and Apocalypse! :lol: She was very intrigued by the mantis = prophet thing.

Rebecca

In Norwegian: kneler (kne=knee, knele=kneel)

But it's more commonly referred to as an "EEEeEeeeEEeeEeEeeEEeeEeK"

Latest posts