How to say '' mantis '' in different languages!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi

The Germans call them "Gottesanbeterin" which means "God adorer". The last two letters ("in") make it feminine.

So it's a female adorer of god.

Of course we use also "Mantis" or the most scientific term "Mantodea".

I remember the Indonesians use another name for mantis, at least in Central Java, too. I guess I am not writing it correctly, but I remember something like "Chan-Tscharang" or "Tschang-Charan" or something like that. I guess in english it would be pronounced like "Shun-Shu-Run" with the three "u" pronounced just like in the word "sun".

regards

HiThe Germans call them "Gottesanbeterin" which means "God adorer". The last two letters ("in") make it feminine.

So it's a female adorer of god.

Of course we use also "Mantis" or the most scientific term "Mantodea".

I remember the Indonesians use another name for mantis, at least in Central Java, too. I guess I am not writing it correctly, but I remember something like "Chan-Tscharang" or "Tschang-Charan" or something like that. I guess in english it would be pronounced like "Shun-Shu-Run" with the three "u" pronounced just like in the word "sun".

regards
I like the German term a lot! The other name you heard from the Central Javanese could be from the 'Sundanese' or Javanese language. Both are very ancient languages still in used in most rural areas in Java.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the German term a lot! The other name you heard from the Central Javanese could be from the 'Sundanese' or Javanese language. Both are very ancient languages still in used in most rural areas in Java.
Hi

Yes, it is very possible that it is not Bahasa Indonesia, but Javanese.

regards

The Afrikaans word Hottentotsgod would be translated as Bushman's god. They believe that Cagn the trickster shapeshifts into a mantis.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts