Hypothetically... if/when Mega Mantises were to become available in the US...

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PragmaticHominid

Reaction score
Hypothetically, if/when Mega Mantises (Plistospilota guineensis) were to become available in the USA, how much do you expect them to cost? I know this is a sort of silly question, but I've been wondering about it. Especially since I saw a breeding pair of Rhino Roaches (Macropanesthia rhinoceros) for sale for $900.

So many people seem to want a Mega Mantis. That makes me wonder, why are they so hard to find? Are they difficult to breed in captivity or hard to collect in the wild, or is there some other issue that I'm not aware of? I've been trying to find info about them online, but there doesn't seem to be much out there.

Well, how much would you be willing to pay for a Mega Mantis?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hypothetically, if/when Mega Mantises were to become available in the USA, how much do you expect them to cost? I know this is a sort of silly question, but I've been wondering about it. Especially since I saw a breeding pair of Rhino Roaches (Macropanesthia rhinoceros) for sale for $900.

So many people seem to want a Mega Mantis. That makes me wonder, why are they so hard to find? Are they difficult to breed in captivity or hard to collect in the wild, or is there some other issue that I'm not aware of? I've been trying to find info about them online, but there doesn't seem to be much out there.

Well, how much would you be willing to pay for a Mega Mantis?
People just havent been breeding them, Yen (yen_saw) just had some for sale. They were sold pretty quickly.

I believed Pragmatic is refering to Plistospilota guineensis. I have never kept that species before.
Yes, I was. I'll edit the original post to reflect that fact - I'd meant to include the scientific name but forgot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Few people have males. ChrisP has a female now, he told me she isn't even sub adult yet and she's huge!

Oh neat, that looks like a species I might be interested in if enough breeders get some stock going.

Especially since I saw a breeding pair of Rhino Roaches (Macropanesthia rhinoceros) for sale for $900.
To equate these with mantids is to not understand why a mantis could never be worth that much. Macropanesthia cost that much because of the time involved, longevity, pedigree, and scarceness. Even the most sought after of all mantids like orchids and devil's flowers could at most hardly go for a tenth that amount. Also, that rhino pair sold and if there were more pairs they'd probably sell too.

I would love to see how big the "mega" mantids actually get in captivity.

They aren't exactly new to the hobby! Rob Byatt had a bunch of breeders over three years ago and said that no one was interested. A lot of people, though, who keep all of their stock in 32oz pots and jars, simply can't raise, them though.Also, going out every day and catching a sparrow to feed them must be a chore! :tt2:

They aren't exactly new to the hobby! Rob Byatt had a bunch of breeders over three years ago and said that no one was interested. A lot of people, though, who keep all of their stock in 32oz pots and jars, simply can't raise, them though.Also, going out every day and catching a sparrow to feed them must be a chore! :tt2:
I ran across his thread when I was looking up info on the species. He is across the pond though isn't he. Do you know if anyone has them in the U.S.A right now? They look to have my favorite characteristics. They get nice and big and have the stereotypical basic mantis shape. I image by the looks of them they are also probably a pretty hardy and easy to care for species overall.

To equate these with mantids is to not understand why a mantis could never be worth that much. Macropanesthia cost that much because of the time involved, longevity, pedigree, and scarceness. Even the most sought after of all mantids like orchids and devil's flowers could at most hardly go for a tenth that amount. Also, that rhino pair sold and if there were more pairs they'd probably sell too.

I know absolutely nothing about roaches (well, I guess I know slightly more than the average person on the street... so still nearly nothing) so if the comparison was a stupid one then I wouldn't actually be surprised. I assumed the high price on the Macropanesthia was simply a matter of scarcity plus demand. But I guess more most go into it then that, aye?

Would you expect them to be smaller if raised in captivity? :huh:

Yeah. I was thinking about that. The other big difference between the rhino roach and any mantis is that the former spend years -- mostly buried in a burrow -- before they emerge. I have a friend who bought six babies about a year and a half ago. Four are doing fine, but two, in the same enclosure, decided to simply die, so raising a number to adulthood is quite an achievement. Unfortunately, as with tropical fish, rare and expensive specimens like these tend to go to the guy with the most cash rather than the most experience.

-- mostly buried in a burrow --
It's actually a bad idea to let them burrow, that's how many people kill them. Did your friend's mismolt? They take 3.5-5.5 years to reach maturity and females have around two dozen young once a year sometimes just once. Blaberus giganteus is our longest roach and has a good six-inch wingspan and nymphs have been about $4 for many years. The difference is high production like mantids (giganteus die much more than rhinocerus).

Also, going out every day and catching a sparrow to feed them must be a chore! :tt2:
Just start a culture. Put a dozen mixed sparrows in an 8064 oz pot which you previousally added potatoes and water too, plus a slice of apple!

Soon the sparrows will lay eggs and the baby sparrow maggots will grub around eating potato flakes until adult hood. At which point the cycle begins again and enough extra adults are produced for feeding.

My concern is what to do when the mantid molts again and is too big for sparrows.

/shrug. This is an aggie school, I suppose I can get some fowl or livestock.

For serious though, I am uncertain how much I would pay, but it is the species I want most so I woul certainly pay something of a premium. My preference would be for an ooth. But a goatload of nymphs would be acceptable (except that ordinarily, buying 10 - 20 nymphs of any species is cost prohibitive versus buying an ooth or mated pair).

It sounds like they breed well, so that's good. But I suppose it will be a year or 2 before US cultures get along enough that I am likely to se them for sale. I suspect they will go at first to those most "in the know".

It's actually a bad idea to let them burrow, that's how many people kill them. Did your friend's mismolt? They take 3.5-5.5 years to reach maturity and females have around two dozen young once a year sometimes just once. Blaberus giganteus is our longest roach and has a good six-inch wingspan and nymphs have been about $4 for many years. The difference is high production like mantids (giganteus die much more than rhinocerus).
I'll link my friend (you can possibly guess who she is!) to this post. You use a substrate too shallow for burrowing? No, they didn't mismolt. Is there an article anywhere in Invertebrate Magazine, and if so, is it still available? Thanx

Latest posts