ID South America Mantids

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

BR mantid

Hi all,

Someone can identify this mantids?

They are endemic of the region where I live in Brazil near the Tropic of Capricorn - South America.

IMG_1813low.jpg

DPP_ed0055%202.jpg

louva.jpg

Thanks

Not a clue on the first one but the rest are either vates or psuedovates i think their spelt

Not a clue on the first one but the rest are either vates or psuedovates i think their spelt

The first one should be some female of a Parastagmatoptera species, the second is a Phyllovates male.

Thanks all!

friendofgeckos,

Yes, I find those mantids in Brazil near the Tropic of Capricorn in South America

Christian, thank you very much! I did a quick search in Google but unfortunately not found any pictures or key identification of these same species. I will continue looking for!

If this was the male and he had about 10 centimeters without the antennas, I wonder what is the size of a female? lol! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't Phyllovates have horns?This mantid has horns but not really long ones.Does male phyllovates get to 10cm?? :huh: :huh: So big... :eek: :eek:

Phyllovates contains larger and smaller species and such with and without horns. 10 cm is much too large for Phyllovates, but most people exaggerate on the one hand, and include wings in body measurement on the other. Considering this, I don't see any problem assigning that male to this genus. Phyllovates chlorophaea is just a moderate sized species.

Hello Christian,

Thank you again!

The Parastagmatoptera has about 4.7 cm

The Phyllovates probably had between 9 and 10 cm, compared with the leaves that had around and was well higher Than the Parastagmatoptera.

was quite large for the habital we see here!

Phyllovates iheringi is a possibility because it is endemic of where I live, but not found any pictures on the net!

friendofgeckos, I found a list with 10 or more species of Phyllovates!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guy!

I will save this link!

The possibility, taking into consideration the region where it was found are:

Parastagmatoptera serricornis Kirby

Parastagmatoptera unipunctata

Parastagmatoptera hoorie

Phyllovates may be

Phyllovates braziliensis Piza

Phyllovates brevicornis Stal

Phyllovates chlorofaea

Phyllovates iheringi

Phyllovates minor

Phyllovates parallela

Phyllovates parvula

Phyllovates spinicollis

Phyllovates tripunctata

Phyllovates stolli

So now it's more easier to identify needs and where to begin.

I will do more research on the network!

Thanks all!

You can eliminate Ph. chlorophaea, Ph. stolli and Ph. tripunctata from the list, they look different. Your species probably belongs to Ph. iheringii or Ph. spinicollis.

Latest posts