Ideal ootheca temprature?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BugLover

Reaction score
Is there a certain temperature I should have my Chinese mantis Oothecae at? my house is a little bit on the cold side even though it has heating. Also how many weeks on average does it take for a Chinese Mantis Ootheca to hatch?

3 weeks to 1 year to hatch.

80 degrees and over 40% RH seems to be the mark to shoot for from my online searches.

I speak from reference and not from experience.

3 weeks to 1 year to hatch.

80 degrees and over 40% RH seems to be the mark to shoot for from my online searches.

I speak from reference and not from experience.
Okay well I'll speak from experience.

It doesn't take a year for them to hatch. 6-8 weeks (from date of laying) if left indoors. If you're bringing a wild ooth indoors from outside it could hatch at anytime this time of year. As long as your house is at a typical room temperature they will hatch. You do want some humidity. Probably the easiest species when it comes to this.

Last edited by a moderator:
i have 3-4 religiosa oothecas that were laid in nov that i kept in our cold garage (30-40F). i sprayed water near them to maintain humidity. its now reaching up into the upper 60/70's here and i have brought them inside the house (low 70s)

what is the "typical" incubation time, for ooths that have been "winterized"? and is there a way (aside from time) to tell if the ootheca is viable?

Latest posts