Identification Help

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SntaCruz83

Reaction score
I gave my friend one of my chinese mantises a while back and he's really gotten into taking care of it. As luck would have it, he stumbled across a wild one outside his window. I can't even remember the last time I saw a wild mantis in our area. Anyway, was hoping someone could take a quick look at the pic and ID it. I guess it could be another Chinese, but I didn't think they came in this color, he says it's smaller than his subadult chinese mantis, and it already has wings. Thanks. :)

6128574938_870f910013_b.jpg

stagmomantis.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the quick responses, folks! Just entering colors of the mantis in the search field or in google doesn't really help me figure it out on my own. I think being able to ID a mantis just comes with experience in the hobby. That being said, I went down to my friend's house to see the lil' guy for myself and I was surprised by how small he was/is compared to my Chinese mantises.

After dinner and the game it was dark out and we spotted another one near the light! I'm takin this one home to take a couple pictures before setting him free again. I would have guessed they just like the light, but the first one was caught in the same spot when the light was off. Maybe a female is around?

Anyway, thanks again. :)

Where are you located? He has interesting coloring on the wings Curious as to which Stagmomantis he is.

Where do you live? I second the guy above me. It is probably Stagmomantis carolina... although the thorax looks king of thick?!

They do look similar. A year ago I think, we all had an invaluable discussion on this forum about distinguishing the californicas, limbatas, and carolinas. What I learned from the discussion is that in the "adult" californicas, at the anterior part of the abdomen, there are about 2 black ~bands/marks. These markings are covered up by the wings and so you would have to lift them up to see it. If you search this forum for "Stagmomantis californica", I'm sure you'll be able to find the discussion as well as some pics that shows what I've just described.

Thats no Limbata! That is a Stagmomantis californica. :)
That's right! Thanks Ismart. I can't believe I've forgotten about the californica! It is a possibility. SntaCruz83, lift up the wings of that mantid and show us a pic of the anterior part of its abdomen!

Very interesting. Find a female for this male and breed them. The females have shorter wings and can't fly but should have the black bands as well (maybe just 2 or 3 instead of like the male). I would like to get my hands on a californica ooth, especially when they are found here in California. It looks like you have found a native mantid of California (the other one is limbata).

Last edited by a moderator:
Any tips on finding the female? Daytime hunt? Looking near lights at night? These guys were found in a residential area less than 20 minutes from Disneyland. Aren't really any fields or woods around.

Latest posts