Identification Malaysia february 2012

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope you can get one of the natives to communicate. It would be interesting to find out where most toxodera are found, and if they have a preferred place to post up at/in.

Malik,

1. Do they stay in secluded area? I'm assuming these animals are territorial, but I cannot follow thru with this opinion 100% due to the fact that all wild collected insects are stressed from human interaction... This is very frustrating, working with full grown adult mantis, that have never been contacted with humans before, and now they are in tiny cages...

2. Have you noticed any of them hiding from you? I'm assuming you provided them plenty of hiding areas in their cages?

3. Would you consider making a mantis leash lol? Example: wire/thread, and connect it to the mantid's bottom part, so they have no option to bite thru the material. Give the animal 20+ feet of string for freedom to roam and possibly find it's own territory where it feels unseen and in privacy. This might give you some leads to evidence of their "all around" behavior. You can then sneakily figure where it's relocated itself at and observe it.

3. Would you consider making a mantis leash lol? Example: wire/thread, and connect it to the mantid's bottom part, so they have no option to bite thru the material. Give the animal 20+ feet of string for freedom to roam and possibly find it's own territory where it feels unseen and in privacy. This might give you some leads to evidence of their "all around" behavior. You can then sneakily figure where it's relocated itself at and observe it.
That's a really funny idea!

1- from the beginning we left them hided from us... After a photo session... they move a lot in their cage for hours...

2- Just trying to run away from us as far as possible... Even if now I think the female are more quiet...

3- I tried that when I was younger... the mantid become crazy and try eating the leash

MIRACLE... She eat an entire butterfly lol ;)

1. Do they stay in secluded area? I'm assuming these animals are territorial, but I cannot follow thru with this opinion 100% due to the fact that all wild collected insects are stressed from human interaction... This is very frustrating, working with full grown adult mantis, that have never been contacted with humans before, and now they are in tiny cages...

2. Have you noticed any of them hiding from you? I'm assuming you provided them plenty of hiding areas in their cages?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the problem is that these mantids, never in touch with humans, are living with them. They are probably just scared. Hopefully they'll eventually calm down

An another medium butterfly eated today :)
if she didn't eat for a few days, and now it looks like she is eating well, then my guess is that she just molted to adult just before you got her.

or like some adults, she might not eat every day, but now is hungry because she is making eggs.

regardless, I wish you lots of luck in finding plenty of food for her.

oh, and if you can post a picture of her eating a butterfly you will make a lot of people happy here in the US.

Harry

Thanks to branckisia and Yen, I'm able to recognize at least males from females... No more females until now...

Still thinking she wasn't just mold... but without certitude...

For the first time I saw her catch the butterfly and eating him but I have to spy her behind a towel... so I'll not try to take picture of her when she's eating... sorry... I would love so much film her catching a butterfly !

when she see us... she begin to move... I decided no more try to make pictures or videos as lot of males died after a photo session and she's very difficult to film (pendulum mouvement make almost impossible with the equipment I have here to follow the focus)... Will try the last day before release her if still alive and before leaving Malaysia...

Hey

She eats between 1 to 3 medium butterflies per day... But I'm not sure it will be enough to obtain an ooth in good time before we go back... :(

Malik, is it possible to leave your 50,000.00 camera unattended and have the mantids filmed without you being there? Lol

What's the altitude where you're at Malik? How far away are you from where the mantids are taken from? Big difference?

Hi,

I have now idea of altitude and we were on different places... around 30... Cameron Highlands is very "big"

Sad day today :( we release the femelle Toxodera... She was eating well but no ooth in time and very few chance she can survive at Kuala Lumpur.

But at least we had this chance to see them and take lot of pictures and after all it's already much more I was expecting before I come in Malaysia.

Thank you for your help and your following :)

it is always sad to have to come back home from any vacation/holiday.

while you have not reached all of your goals, I'm sure you are happy with what you got out of your trip.

I also want to thank you for all of your time and photos that you posted on here. you are the best.

Harry

I'm sure just to see all those mantids in the wild, and animal life itself. Was well worth the trip! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
+1. I think seeing a mantid in its natural habitat would be even more rewarding, sad to say but I have dreams of seeing wild orchids, Toxodera, Choeradodis, etc.

You must of had an awesome time. Even though you had to let her go, it is still amazing that you even got to see such a rare mantis. Thank you for keeping us posted!

Yes thank you. Your finds still amaze me! Good luck with your film.

Latest posts