Identification Malaysia february 2012

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some very quick news... Some males unfortunately dies but the female still alive and seems fine even if she eats very few...

We saw how they catch small butterflies and even for small butterflies... they seems to fight vigorously to eat them... I even see a male releasing his prey...

I'll do probably a new picture session tomorrow for the female...

Some very quick news... Some males unfortunately dies but the female still alive and seems fine even if she eats very few...

We saw how they catch small butterflies and even for small butterflies... they seems to fight vigorously to eat them... I even see a male releasing his prey...

Why don't you guys try feeding them some smaller food items. Like lets say house, or greenbottle flies. Maybe they won't have such a hard time subduing, and eating them. Even the smallest of butterflies have large wings in comparison to there body size.

Which males died?

Hi Ismart,

Of course we tried every thing... big, medium, small flies, big mosquitoes, moths of all types, different size of grasshopper, bees, wasp, cockroaches... to be honest we tried lot of things... Finally they always eat only small butterflies... ignoring the rest... If you have any new idea of original food (we can find here)

I'm more convinced now that the stress 'kills them" as the males who died was the ones I take in pictures and manipulate... but still just an hypothesis...

Female still nice... crossing the finger...

Please be sure we do the best than we can with what we have as we are not at "home" with everything available but of course I have to film her... trying always to be very kind and precocious...

For the peoples who send us by messages... We don't have any Toxodera's ooths... we don't sell 15 dollars each ooth and IF we obtain 1 ooth even infertile... it will be wonderfull... And we will never sell it... for 15 dollars or even for 1000 dollars :p

For the same peoples who said that we don't know how to do and if we send them the female... they will breed her very easily... I just say... Welcome to Malaysia :) Just come join us and I will give her for free ... with the promise they share the first ooth :rolleyes:

(This message is of course not for you Ismart :) )

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
For the same peoples who said that we don't know how to do and if we send them the female... they will breed her very easily... I just say... Welcome to Malaysia :) Just come join us and I will give her for free ... with the promise they share the first ooth :rolleyes:

(This message is of course not for you Ismart :) )

Cheers
Wow! Some people actually said that? How disrespectful! :angry: Honestly you guys did not even have to start this cool thread. You could have just kept quiet. And your right! The people who talk smack should take a trip to Malaysia and see just how easy it is? :rolleyes:

Maybe the local people can show you where some were found? Check out the vegetation there were found on. Maybe it will hold a clue to what they are mostly eating?

Great thinking, Paul. If you guys haven't already, you should ask many locals. They of course know more about the habitat than us outsiders do! Maybe observe one for a few hours in the wild if you get the time. Congrats on everything thus far, it is an accomplishment!

Wow, someone dared to say that? Sounds like a trollish scam to me but regardless I hope you can ignore the few bad apples around here.

Thanks for starting this great thread and for posting pictures of such a cool species!

Keep up the good work guys. Use all available resources to find out more about these guys.

As for the people sending messages: Another example of some idiots wanting to take the the cool, new species out of their habitat without even knowing how to take care of them.

Malik, I found the answer to your mystery S5 female. She is a female toxodera denticulata. Here's a picture of another one, this one male.

Toxidera_denticulata1-birag.jpg

Malik, I found the answer to your mystery S5 female. She is a female toxodera denticulata. Here's a picture of another one, this one male.

Toxidera_denticulata1-birag.jpg
Hi other brancsikia 339,

So what´s not fine with the identifications posted?

S1

Metatoxodera subparallela, B male

S2

Paratoxodera gigliotosi, male

S3

Stenotoxodera porioni, male

S4

Toxodera fimbriata, male

S5

Toxodera integrifolia, female

S6

Stenotoxodera pluto, male

Cheers

Oh. I just was confused because I've seen pictures of this sp. look differently. Just trying to find the best match. Also I never saw the post about the various species

Last edited by a moderator:
If all they want is butterflies there's not much hope for captive propagation!!
why? all you have to do is be well prepared in advance.

yet I'm also sure that they will eat other things. it's just not all that easy to find out in the wild.

Harry

An another day and the female still alive :)

To be honest I don't sleep very well probably thinking too much about her lol

I even make a dream where I was happy because she died so I felt released by the pressure to maintain her alive.

I think in the improbable case where she makes an ooth and the ooth hatched... I think it will be easier to make them adapted to some more accessible food as big flies, bees, waxworm butterflies (not sure it's the good translation)

But for now... just cross fingers she stay alive. I heard from somebody here who try to breed them that they also mutilate themself in captivity... eating their own legs and one of the male who died was lost 2 legs... don't finding any rest... that's perhaps confirm the stress behavior. It's also possible that it's because they starving but I don't think so as the males eats "normally" for me

About where they have been catch... no informations (i don't speak malay and they don't speak english) except they use very long stick

We try also to release and see one male to see what he do... They fly very well ;) lol

Cheers

Latest posts