Idolomantis Consolidated

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So this morning I wake up to one of my L5 that molted to L6....She had obviously molted throughout the night and I didnt see, because when I woke up she was already completely dried, BUT hanging from only 2 legs with her claws on her tarsals placed opposite ways.

So I look at the top of the cage, and see her skin. She lost her 2 back tarsals...You can see her front legs she had stretched forward a little bit, but her back legs got stuck which I guess she pulled her tarsals out...Needless to say I was a little mad because she molted 100% on sticks hanging from top of the exo terra, which is why I was a little lost at how she got stuck.

But ###### happens...Oh well....So im trying to come up with a cage that will better suit her, because I definitely want her to live on and make it through this...which she should be able to. Shes acting normal just hanging from only 2 legs. She still has her front claws, all her legs, just missing her back tarsals.

This morning I tried to hand feed her a BB fly, but she didnt want it...still could have just been because she recently molted. Normaly I just let BBs go inside the cage for them to catch...but I was afraid to this morning with the other idolos being in the cage, as well as her trying to go after them and falling hard...although I think she would do fine on the ground by just dragging her legs. Let me know what you guys think....When I get home im going to take some pics, I just have 2 crappy phone pictures that you cant really tell anything in.

Edit:

Heres a picture, but im almost positive she had both legs like on the right there, not like on the left, I think maybe she chewed part of the left one off there during the day....?

DSC_1574.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone mentioned something that makes a lot of sense to me regarding angled surfaces.

I saw this on Amazon. Sheets of bark which you can cut into desired pieces.

I was thinking of cutting pieces to turn the square, right cube angles into a more slanted gradient:

http://www.amazon.co...33397371&sr=1-3

Granted, I do not see a need to get neurotic about all this, it runs into a lot of money.

If I could find out how long time succesful breeders do it, that's what I will follow.

Folks like Yen and Henry are the only 2 I know so far, but I'm sure lots of U other guys who posted wonderful advise are also

experienced breeders.

Precarious said:
I usually glue all the sticks to two thin flat wooden dowels then use bread ties to secure the dowels to the screen at the corners. Works great.

I've had up to 4 adults in a 12x12 which is pushing it. Helps if you add a second level of perches. Right now I have 6 L7s in a modified net cube and they are not stressed or cramped at all. They really like the fake vine I arched across the mid level.
I'd love to hear more about your net cube modifications.

I am using a combo of shelf liner (similar to the carpet liner but more densely woven - their feet were getting thru the stuff i originally had in there) with natural material rug-hooking grid over that, then sticks supported by LLCoolJew's awesome foam idea. This is 3 currently L5's in a 12 x 12 x 18 ZooMed - I have an L6 currently kept separately that I would like to introduce to the commune eventually. I'll post pics later. There are fake vines on the sides, no liner. So far zero molt or health probs. I am pondering 'safety net' modifications for later (heavier) molts.

I've had a few molt from the vines also without problems but that's not going to be the case when they are bigger.

I'd love to hear more about your net cube modifications.
Not much to tell. Nick was getting good results raising younger nymphs in net cages so I gave it a shot. So long as you really keep up on humidity they work fine. Lay paper towel and add fake vine secured with safety pins. Make sure you get the kind with cloth leaves. Being able to pin things wherever you need them is pretty handy.

Once they got a little older I safety pinned a grid of twigs like the one in the link below, but they've been consistently dropping to the vine, away from the crowd, for molts. So make sure you have the vine high enough to molt from.

Terrarium with lots of twigs

Some photos of one of the net cages in this comment:

http://mantidforum.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=21061&view=findpost&p=192937

these r the sticks i have now

7048651109_b1c3899cff.jpg

here she is!!!

7048651221_46bdecd6a3.jpg

7048651359_b2ce54fec6.jpg

6902559962_c55a84793f.jpg

7048651721_6b89f8550b.jpg

7048651805_53b93e5cd7.jpg

7048651915_39b5edb365.jpg

her in her cage

6902560510_9245b0d3ff.jpg

little unclear, but after misting her, she got scared shitless! literally

the red is indicating her head, the blue indicates the poop she took after misting the cage

7048652121_7d4dd71d5d.jpg

agent A said:
My idolo has a reduced appetite for some reason

Is it true they have to catch stuff out of the air to eat?
I would say that 75% of the time, mine only catch flys in mid air.

Harry

Psychobunny said:
Instead of tree sticks on the lid, what about those cheap chop sticks they give you at Chinese food

places for free!!

They are unfinished sticks, but are they rough surface enough?

I can get tons of these. Beats having to cut tree branches!!!
When I use sticks It's the soft bark that I'm going for, the hooks on their feet dig in and hold even after the molt is done, sometimes it's a challenge to get the exoskeleton to come off after, which is a good thing, lol.

But any wood is better than letting them molt from the screen.

I think you are right.

Modding my Exo Terra 18 X 18, I just used what I know works, real sticks from trees and spongy carpet liner.

I am not sure what to do with the back. I have the carpet liner on the sides, but I ordered 2 18X18'' natural cork

tiles from Amazon.

So, I am hoping that will not only look nice, but also provide good grip for my idolo's.

Here is my mod work so far. I have used 100% silicon glue to glue the Ultratherm UTH to the glass bottom.

The glue is rated for over 250F and always works fine for me.

dP1pr.jpg

EaE1Y.jpg

vFkcC.jpg

This is the 18 X 18'' cork tile I ordered as the back panel. If it turns out I dont like it, I will glue another piece

of carpet liner instead.

http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Natural-Background-18-Inches/dp/B0019J1VPY/ref=sr_1_8?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1333823783&sr=1-8

What do U think of the cork tile idea?
The cork tiles are great. I have one in my 18" tall Zoo-Med but I covered it with a bamboo mat because it made the tank too dark. I was shooting video in there so I needed a lighter background to make the mantids stand out better. But otherwise they are very nice.

My whipspider loves the one in his tank. :devil:

Whipspider_9299-sm.jpg

Looks good, looks almost exactly like mine. Which heatmat is that?
Ultratherm sold only by The Bean Farm.

They are the best. The ones by Exo Terra and ZooMed are ######!!!

These actually are regulated to sence the room temp. so in many cases, unless you need

precise temps, with these you do not need a thermostat, they will not go over 110F in a cold room

and will automaticly lower it's temp if the room air is warmer.

They are very thin, and cheap!! No "peel and stick" that cant be removed.

Just use some silicon cement (fish tank glue) which will peel right off when you want to remove and

use it on something else.

I have lots of them, some I have had for several years.

The cork should be great for climbing on/up without messing with it, but in all my many Exo Terra's be it 12x12 or 18x24 that have always been filled with Idolo I never have had anything on the sides just glass, I use 3-4 angled vertical branches per sq foot from the bottom to the top(as shown in my pics) and should any hit the bottom they spend less than 2 minutes down there, find a branch and scurry back up to the top without any incident, except one adult male I had a while back that never seemed to bright and never even tried to mate even though he had many chances.

So in short I'm saying it's not needed, any money spent on sides could be used elsewhere, they have eyes and can see a way up if provided, I don't know maybe it's just that I've had all my 100's of Idolo from L1's and they learned, but I don't think so?

Finally finished my Exo Terra mods and got all my guys in there!

Had to cut the cork tile and plywood base down to size.

Fixture has 2 25W incan bulbs with provide 75F when measured in the middle of

the 18'' cube encloser.

Have a 11 x 11'' Ultratherm UTH silicon glued to the bottom (no thermostat needed)

The cork tile was hard to glue to the glass!! hot glue did not do the job, had to use a 2 part

epoxy.

Let me know if I did anything wrong!! :

D6z7A.jpg

XqoMA.jpg

JlK1p.jpg

Euk5X.jpg

Looks really nice, very nice and neat looking.

I need to get me another exo terra, I sold one to a friend thinking I had another 2 lined up for only 25 bucks a piece, and he wont call me back now :(

Looks really nice, very nice and neat looking.

I need to get me another exo terra, I sold one to a friend thinking I had another 2 lined up for only 25 bucks a piece, and he wont call me back now :(
I have a large wide 18 x 18 x 36'' one for sale if you want to pop over this weekend to pick it up ;)

Looks great! Top sticks could be thinner but I don't think that is a deal breaker. Just watch the molts to make sure it isn't.
Thanks Henry, I was hoping for your feedback.

The sticks look bigger in the pics for some reason, maybe it's the lens, but it's not a wide angle, so I dont know

why it does that.

I tried to pick the smallest ones. I have been watching them closly as they walk around on it, and they look comfortable.

They really like to hang out on that carpet liner stuff (on the two sides) and seem to be more agile (for an idolo that is!!) on it!!

P.S. also, as you can see, the sticks are glued to the carpet liner and not the screen lid.

I glued the carpet liner on first, then layered the sticks over it. So they have extra support.

I noticed they like to congregate on the right side wall. There is a window a few feet to the right on that

side, so I thought they were attracted to the sunlight.

I put a piece of black craft paper over that side to block the light and train them back to the ceiling!!

So far, my plan isnt working so well!! Maybe I should put stronger bulbs in the fixture??

Latest posts