Idolomorpha cf lateralis - rainbow? (look out - many photos)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This species looks very much the same as the ones I found at my birthplace in Namibia Africa.

I have some questions...

How many molts for this mantis to become adult?

And how do you incubate the ooth?

By the way - I bought mine as L1/L2 and after only one month they are already L5! Talk about growth!

Last edited by a moderator:
Today I took a picture of my freshly moulted adult female - sweet, isn't she? :)

59807.jpg

Yeah - I have another female, which moulted on Friday night - her wings are purple in the middle, and have green/yellow lateral parts - sweet.

But I was mislead with this mantis - they used Empusa pennata picture for the auction, so I was hoping for some lobes on the abdomen, and a colorful thorax - but this mantis has nothing like that, hehehe.

I'm pretty satisfied, although they were not worth the amount of money I had to pay for them - I was expecting something more extraordinary.

I hope I will breed them - they may not be as exotic as Empusa pennata or Gongylus gongylodes, but I have a lot of fun with them. Plus, they are the fastest growing species I've ever seen - I purchased them on 09.12.2007 as L1/L2 and they are already adult!

Well, anyway - with ten females, and only three males I'm in for a difficult task.

That female looks hot Kruszakus!! ;) Best of luck in breeding.

Had one ooth hatched out for me recently, looks very much like a baby Empusa mantis.

L1d.jpg

L1b.jpg

Wow! I did not know that you were keeping this mantis! You must tell me at what temperature you were keeping those ooths, how often you were spraying them and what was the hatching rate - I'm really curious!

I must say, that after five days I took a good look at my first adult female - and I changed my mind about this species. It really is like a rainbow! The colors are mindblowing! Even the thorax or legs are not in one, solid color - just awesome! And the rate at which they are growing is just shocking - I counted only six moults for both sexes!

How nice, I was kinds worried that about 180$ for fourteen nymphs was too much, but so far it seems like well spent money.

One advice - don't use wingless fruitflies (but I guess you figured that out long time ago), they were totaly not working with this species.

I don't have the adult specimen, these are oothecae traded, i kept them at 90-95F, mist once every other day. Hatching rate is about 10-15 nymphs normally, this one i have here hatch 6 the first day and another 4 later in the evening. I use turkish glider, not wingless fruti flies, the turkish glider jumps like a flea and that is good enough to get their attention. Wild fruit fly is good too, especially for species that prefer flying insects.

You'll find this species surprisingly easy to rear, but I guess you already know how to keep them, after all you ain't a fluke, hehehe.

Be ready to provide them with a lot of space - if you decide to keep them around 35C daytime, they will probably become adult in about 8-9 weeks.

I hope you will do well with other of your Empusidae as well - man, what a beautiful family they are!

Most Empusids have to be kept warm to hot, generally not below 30°C.

Once I bred Hypsicorypha gracilis (similar to Idolomorpha, but even more slender, light brown in color and with a very long horn) and they got 35-40° every day, on summer days even up to almost 50°C. The tropical species (e.g. Idolomorpha, Idolomantis, Hemiempusa, some Empusa species) are the species with the "coolest" conditions required (30-35°). Palearctic Empusa (during summer), Hypsicorypha, Gongylus and Blepharopsis do better with 35-40°.

You can get Hypsicorypha gracilis anywhere now? I have not heard of anyone keeping this species.

It's out of stock now. As far as I remember I was the last person breeding them. I gave them away as we got Idolomantis, but obviously noone was successful with Hypsicorypha again.

@ Yen: what are turkish gliders? :huh:
It is D. melanogaster with a specific strain. This particulat strain jump and glide a lot. I received a culture from Merek a year ago. THey are many different mutation (strains) like wingless, golden eyes, curly, etc as stated in this link from Merek

http://www.atlfrog.com/turkishgliders.html

You can get Hypsicorypha gracilis anywhere now? I have not heard of anyone keeping this species.
This species actually came to USA once and i had an ooth from Stephan, it only hatched out 4 nymphs unfortunately and i reared all 4 of them up to L5 before selling them to a breeder in New Jersey. This was probably 2 yrs ago so i don't think the breeder in New Jersey make it either. Here are some pics while i have them.

Hypg7.jpg

Hypg3.jpg

l4hypsis1.jpg

l4hypsis2.jpg

Wow! I knew this species, but I did not know that people were rearig them - what a shame they are out of stock, they would make nice addition to my collection.

What is happening in Germany? I can't buy Gongylus at the moment, and Ceratomantis are impossible to get as of late - just what is going on?

Latest posts