Ill Orchid Mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neps

Reaction score
Early today, discovered that my female orchid mantis has some kind of infection. I've attached a couple of images. It appears to be spreading fast. She's lost the use of the infected limb; the joint in the dark area is frozen....

I feel really bad for her. Wish there was something I could do, for these are my favorite species and she was my only female. Had hoped to breed them, but looks like it's not going to happen. All my other mantids are doing quite well.

Has anyone seen this before? If so, is there any treatment possible? I am mystified. My conditions are pretty good: temps 20 to 30 C, with humidity from 60 to 75% and a diet of houseflies and crickets; misted once per day. Wish I knew what went wrong.

Thanks in advance for any light anyone can shed on this.

Orchid1.jpg

Orchid2.jpg

Good pix of the dreaded "black disease" that afflicts a lot of Orchids in the U.S. This is just an interim note to let you know that it is not due to your poor husbandry. When they wake up tomorrow, Rick and Hibiscusmile and others will tell you tales of an identical problem.

Phil, thank you for letting me know that. I do appreciate it.

I do not recommend following my advice, since I have no idea what I am talking about... however, maybe if you cut that particular limb off and immediately bind the wound with nail hardener (if that works at all, that is) it might prevent the spread of this infection.

But again, I have no idea what I am talking about. I want to get Orchids however, and I don't want this to happen to me. If there is a way to prevent it, I would like to know. If not... well... bummer.

Sorry for your sick Orchid Jeff. I agree with Phil that this is not due to your husbandry. To add, this disease also happens to Orchids in S.E. Asia. In fact, I've seen wild Orchids with the same issue. Typically, this disease will start at the joints of their limbs. I've seen some Orchids do what JoeCapricorn suggested (minus the nail hardener part of course), they will nibble on the affected areas to remove their limb and prevent the infection from spreading. Some Orchids will leave it be, probably knowing that they can't prevent the disease from spreading.

As for what causes this, I have no clue. My apologies.

Last time I had that happen it started on her head. I'll see if I can find the thread.

angry.gif
All that being said, some people swear it is from the crickets, and I have to agree with them. NO Crickets!
It isn't crickets. The one I had where the head rotted off was not fed crickets. Also, when I had good luck with orchids a few years ago they ate nothing BUT crickets. I never had an issue with that batch of orchids.

If crickets were the cause, how would you explain wild Orchids having the same problems?

I don't know, U mean crickets aren't in the wild
tongue.gif

Plus I have it on good authority not to feed crickets, so there :tt3:
I dont' think they are the best choice for them, but I dont' think we can prove right now that is the cause because my last one was not fed crickets. However, she was fed wild caught moths/butterflies.

I personally hate giving my mantids crickets too because they basically stink and my wife is alright with me having roaches in the house now lol. But I don't think this issue is caused by crickets. Wild Orchids observed in the wild do not typically stay on bushes and on the forest floor where crickets are usually found. For the record, I've fed my Orchids wild-caught rainforest crickets and they do just fine.

And Rick I've never seen that happen before. From what I've seen, only limbs and joints are affected.

Last edited by a moderator:
Many thanks to all of you for responding to my post and sharing your knowledge and suggestions. Certainly, I'm relieved to hear that this is not likely due to some husbandry error on my part. Sure feel badly for the mantis, however.... :(

Ugh... it's worse than I thought by your description.
sad.gif

Jeff, I agree with Joe that I'm not sure this is the best advice... but it's the only thing I can think of that might save your Orchid (or not, I'm afraid). At least the disease has affected only one limb, and doesn't appear to have spread to the main body or head yet. She will likely die soon anyways, so I would be inclined to try cutting that leg off close to where it attaches to the thorax. Sterilize your scissors first. I wouldn't use nail hardener or anything to seal the cut.

Like I said, it's not advice I feel comfortable giving, as I've never had the opportunity to test either the procedure or results. But the only alternative I see is watching the blackness/disease spread and eventually kill her. Sometimes drastic ailments call for drastic experimental measures, as we just don't know what causes this condition or any remedy. You'll have to let us know what you decide to do and how she progresses, either way. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do.

Edit: You will likely have to hand feed her if you cut off that leg; but one good thing is that Orchids respond well to hand feeding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Becky! I have been considering this very course of action. But, before I do so, I'm wondering if anyone else has tried amputation. If so, could you please describe the results? Did the mantis survive?

First, crickets climb, all I am gonna say!!! and second, yes I have cut, and some make it and some don't! Like Rick showed, I have had it on the head and those do not live, sometimes legs cut off, if it is not to bad will make it, but never count on it.

LIke she said, cutting it off might work. I would cut if off with something sharp and sterile quickly. I would also cut it about a quarter inch below the attachment to the thorax. I have cut many a mantids legs off. They usually do fine. Usually though it is a mantis that had one leg mangled from a bad molt. She will have mixed results catching food. Normally they can still do it with one front leg. However, you may want to just hand the food to her with some tongs or tweezers.

Well speaking from a tarantula experience I had if you grab the mentioned leg with a pair of forceps and hold on to and pull causing the mantis to pull away herself so she actually breaks off the limb. Although I'm not sure if they work the same, as tarantulas have like a seal that they can shut off so they do not bleed out when a leg is removed but I like them to do it themselves so its a conscious effort made by them. it has been my experiance in Tarantulas that if you amputate the leg yourself that they have a much higher chance of bleeding out.