Indian Bark Mantis - eats & cleans (video)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Precarious

Reaction score
Sub-adult female Humbertiella ceylonica captures blue bottle flies in lightning fast strikes. You can see all 3 strikes repeated at normal then .25 speed at the end. Take note of the unique patterns on the eyes and the yellow inner-mouth parts.

Music by Precarious

This is old footage from years ago. Figured I'd post since the species is back in circulation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was wondering when you were going to post these. OP finally delivered!

Really great music production choices. Makes her seem like a scary robot.

I feel like you would need to shoot at like 1,000+ FPS to get a clear idea about what goes on during this super fast strike.

Cool video! May I ask what your camera setup is? I'm trying to shoot macro on my canon but can't find a cheap solution... I'm a poor college kid...

Cool video! May I ask what your camera setup is? I'm trying to shoot macro on my canon but can't find a cheap solution... I'm a poor college kid...
This was shot on a Canon HSF200 camcorder using a $20 magnifying filter (diopter). It's just a mid-grade consumer model but with really good macro ability. The magnifying diopter takes it to the next level.

If you're talking about shooting video on a DSLR you would need a macro lens that goes down to at least 1:1 (aka 1x or actual size), such as the EF 100mm 1:2.8. Even then you'd need further magnification. I'd guess there are points in this video at about 3x magnification. The only lens able to do that costs over $900 (Canon MP-E 65mm - Great lens!), so you'd be stuck using additional dioters which degrade signal quality (chromatic aberration).

Latest posts