Insects that can be imported into CA, USA without a permit.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Soo...unless people are getting permits all the exotic mantids in CA are illegal.

I honestly am sceptical of those laws. I heard of one guy selling "permits" Made a couple thousand dollars and then someone was smart enough to figure out the scam. He had to pay back everyone and he went to jail for a few years.

Well...laws are laws. I'm not sure of where you are going with that story. Also, generally individuals can't get USDA permits.

Hmm, that manual says stagomantis instead of stagmomantis. Others and I have been using stagmomantis all over this forum. Which is it really supposed to be?

If you read this:

Section 6305 of the Food and Agricultural Code requirespersons to obtain a permit from the director or the United States

Department of Agriculture to import into, or ship or transport

within, the state live insects except for certain exemptions. One

of these exemptions is for beneficial or useful insects of

common occurrence in the state. To identify which beneficial

insects do not require a permit to import into, or ship or transport

within, the state the following lists are provided. However, as

with all insect shipments they shall be rejected when the insects

are moved in conjunction with host plants or other host

organisms when such hosts would normally be rejected if

moving independently.
I believe that they are emphasizing the importation, use, and release of insects in conjunction with plants or other agricultural means.

I’m not a lawyer though, so don’t take my word for it. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, there is some act of alien species or something signed by some president. They don't want you to release them into the wild, since it might harm the natural insects there. That's why they banned the possesion of exotics. However, here in CA, exotics can't survive, since the summers are too dry and hot for exotics, the winter is much too cold for tropical exotic oothecas, so that's my excuse to keep them!

I do believe for some species the law should be changed. At the very least certain tropical species should not require permits to ship around the Northern states. Ideally this could go for all the US except for states they can be proven or have a high chance of being invasives in(i.e, Florida, And perhaps Arizona and Texas). Certain species that are kept I would support regulations for, such as exotic temperate and subtropical species(they could establish successfully as has been shown by a few stick insects).

I am not saying I support the law.

Joosa: Nope, don't buy that interpretation. Notice G. portentosa, the hisser, is on there. So yes, exotic mantids are illegal at the moment, but so is marijuana(by this, I am saying that just because you can get something and that it is sold in the open does not mean it is legal). I think that legalizing some exotic insects would provide far more benefits than risk.

Some more recent discussion is that USDA is mainly concerned with plant pests. So while stick insects area definite nonothey are not as concerned about mantids at the moment. The hissing cockroach, a common pet, was only deregulated about a year ago. This really puts things into perspective!

You know...I have looked at that list before too but that would mean like almost all inverts are not legal in California and there are plenty of dealers and shows here that have many that are not on this list.

The only species hearty enough to be imported and disrupt the food chain are already native since they were originally brought, IE Chinese and European. I wish I could release a few hundred Orchids and get them to integrate into my state, but it's ridiculous and impossible, not to mention wrong morally / ethically.

The intention with these laws is to be over cautious that some exotic species wouldn't choke out some other animals native to your ecosystem.

I don't lose sleep at night knowing I have some exotic species because even if I lost them all outdoors they would just freeze or become food, not to mention they're much worse at competing for food than native species.

The majority of the trees and plants we are familiar with were never native to North America pre-colonization.

Growing up in Florida all my life I've seen coconut trees become almost extinct, due to lethal yellowing and other plants choking it out.

::Gets off soapbox::

What is even more interesting about this is that due to Federal laws over it it may not apply!

I was talking with a FL butterfly breeder who said she was unable to send Papilio cresphontes to CA. But they are listed on here. She was surprised, and sent a email to a USDA agent she new of...

------------

Dr. Wehling wrote back to say that because of the citrus industry, Giant Swallowtails can’t be shipped into California. The USDA has authority above California and we can’t ship anything in except for the few species permitted on the form I sent to you.

--------------

The funny thing is is that they already occur in CA...

So with this all, I guess it is time for someone to talk to a CA and a Federal USDA agent regarding this particular state.

The only species hearty enough to be imported and disrupt the food chain are already native since they were originally brought, IE Chinese and European. I wish I could release a few hundred Orchids and get them to integrate into my state, but it's ridiculous and impossible, not to mention wrong morally / ethically.The intention with these laws is to be over cautious that some exotic species wouldn't choke out some other animals native to your ecosystem.

I don't lose sleep at night knowing I have some exotic species because even if I lost them all outdoors they would just freeze or become food, not to mention they're much worse at competing for food than native species.

The majority of the trees and plants we are familiar with were never native to North America pre-colonization.

Growing up in Florida all my life I've seen coconut trees become almost extinct, due to lethal yellowing and other plants choking it out.

::Gets off soapbox::
Henry Wu: You are saying that a group of animals, entirely composed of females, will breed?

Ian Malcolm: No, I am merely stating that uhh... life finds a way.

Just to let people know, it is ALWAYS the buyer/importers problem to know of the rules of buying insects, the sender only needs an export permit if he sends cities animals or are doing it as an occupation (i just seeked for that information with the danish health department) and i got both my import and export license now YAY!! :D

I dont know if this has to do with this topic but i live in california and when i went to this reptile store to get some fruit flies

they asked me what are they for and i said baby mantis and they said we cant sell mantises anymore cause there illegal.

i dunno if shes telling me the truth or not.

I dont know if this has to do with this topic but i live in california and when i went to this reptile store to get some fruit flies they asked me what are they for and i said baby mantis and they said we cant sell mantises anymore cause there illegal.

i dunno if shes telling me the truth or not.
not exactly, You can not import "exotic" mantis into California but if they are here already they can sell them. Also Ooths are a gray area, there are no laws that say you can not import ooths. Lots of pet shops in CA don't know this!

At the last reptile show we did the lady from fish and game bought 2 Spiny flowers from us....

Last edited by a moderator:
not exactly, You can not import "exotic" mantis into California but if they are here already they can sell them. Also Ooths are a gray area, there are no laws that say you can not import ooths. Lots of pet shops in CA don't know this!At the last reptile show we did the lady from fish and game bought 2 Spiny flowers from us....
not exactly, You can not import "exotic" mantis into California but if they are here already they can sell them. Also Ooths are a gray area, there are no laws that say you can not import ooths. Lots of pet shops in CA don't know this!At the last reptile show we did the lady from fish and game bought 2 Spiny flowers from us....
LOL...how weird.

I suspect they may be doing one of two things.

a) As they did with hissers, USDA realizes mantids are not that big of a deal and may soon deregulate them

B) they are planning a big bust.

I personally am opting for a)

LOL...how weird.I suspect they may be doing one of two things.

a) As they did with hissers, USDA realizes mantids are not that big of a deal and may soon deregulate them

B) they are planning a big bust.

I personally am opting for a)
I vote for a)!

But still I can't emphasize enough how illegal walking sticks are!!!! they'll get you for those, I'd love to get a license to keep them! I think every once in a while we should move out of CA just so We can keep those and more Beetles (my favorite) and then I think I'm crazy....where would I go? I'm sooooo Californian!

Hello All,

THe form on the link above is an old form 2004, many things has change since.

MAntids are illegal to import from another country.

MAntids are illegal to move from State to state without permits.

Fish and Wild life doesn't regulate invertebrates but APHIS does, I have a friend who is an importer and applied to import Stag beetles since according to a list I gave them they were OK to move into California.

Well anyways after appliyng, he was rejected by Dr Wehling from APHIS and a few weeks after Fish and game was there at his bussines to inspect his facility to house the stags beetles and he was approved.

So to summarize Fish and wildlife and APhis are two different entities and they have different objectives.

ALl of us here are on a risk of either getting a warning or a fine and all the material will be confiscated.

regards

francisco