intelligence and live hobbies??

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's fascinating. I had to reposition a mio that wouldve bottomed out, and fell after I did so. Luckily my soft cotton pads cushioned its fall. I just hung it by its molt to let it finish. 100pct okay. 

My first molt was an L8 to L9 molt of a golden that was pretty injured in transit.

Fell right off and I didnt know what to do. Maybe she would've had a chance had I hung her back up. Maybe not. She was down for a bit so damage might have been there anyway, but she wouldve done better had I just hung her. Or maybe she'd have fallen again. Guh!

Last edited by a moderator:
I doubt there have been any studies done on this specific topic, but many studies have been done when it comes to neuroplasticity and musical instruments, second languages, painting, etc.

The general consensus is that doing those sorts of activities helps increase or maintain neuroplasticity, which may show up as certain types of intelligence.

In my anecdotal experience, the divide is more between hobbyists and non-hobbyists. I feel like non-hobbyists don't have the same thirst for practical knowledge and therefore don't acquire as much knowledge and don't need to push themselves to adapt and problem solve. Whether you are exercising your brain on mantis behavior and breeding, on playing guitar, or on woodworking, I would bet the outcome is mostly the same.

No matter where your interests lay, just keep after them. I do feel that the people I know that have no hobbies have less practical knowledge and less problem-solving ability. Not sure if that is causal or correlative.

No matter where your interests lay, just keep after them.
I agree on that. With no hobbies life is boring. I am alone during the day when my hubby is at work and I am not bored. My hubby don"t have much hobbies but he has NO time to do them.

On  average I doubt people who keep live animals are any more intelligent than those who participate in hobbies not involving live animals.  To to raise yourself to the level where you could be considered a "master" of that particular hobby takes a great deal of knowledge of the subject but I don't think you need any more intelligence than someone else to be able to do it. I also don't think people who have mastered the art/science of keeping live animals necessarily have any more intelligence than someone who has mastered many of the other hobbies.  

You don't need to be smarter than anyone else to keep live animals and keeping live animals doesn't mean you are smarter than anyone else. 

A coworker (my former boss at my co. actually) really seems to have a problem with my bugs. She's an older Romanian engineer with very old school beliefs.

I just mock hold up my raptorials and click my teeth at her. 🤣

A coworker (my former boss at my co. actually) really seems to have a problem with my bugs. She's an older Romanian engineer with very old school beliefs.

I just mock hold up my raptorials and click my teeth at her. 🤣
Hahaha😂

People just don't get it!!!!
Right!!

Yesterday I was talking to a cop ( we had an gas explosion nearby and we had to leave our homes temporarily. Some ppl don't have homes anymore :( ....) I had to wait a while and I talked about my mantids and showed him some pics i had on my phone. He was very interested and liked my pics.

Yesterday I was talking to a cop ( we had an gas explosion nearby and we had to leave our homes temporarily. Some ppl don't have homes anymore :( ....) I had to wait a while and I talked about my mantids and showed him some pics i had on my phone. He was very interested and liked my pics.
That's sad that some people lost their homes! It is really cool that the cop liked your mantis pics though!

- MantisGirl13

Een-bewoonster-bekijkt-de-ravage-in-de-Jan-van-der-Heijdenstraat-Foto-ANP.jpg

This are the homes that are lost because of the explosion. That will be taken down. Is too damaged too be repared.

I prefer to see more snow pics.

Gladly not. There were 10 wounded but they all survived.👍 They are still investigating what caused the explosion.

Latest posts