Is it possible to take your mantis on a plane?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like to stick them in my hair and pretend it is a hair piece!
We have a winner. Bring out the glue.On a more serious note I actually didn sneak in a number of insects as toy jewerly when I was a little kid. Grashoppers were what I normaly had back then and I had these little necklaces that were shaped like mini barns that you were suppose to put toy ponies in. Instead I stuck the grasshoppers in them and traded them into a carry on cage once I passed through security. Reason I didn't stow them directly in the lugage is I was afraid the radiation would be bad for them going through the machine. Of course now a days a kid would be knocked to the ground and pinned down while such toy necklaces would be checked for explosives. :wacko:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I guess Rudolph has put my dilemma to rest (This morning when I looked to see how he was doing ( since the night before he seemed to be moving even more slower almost to the point of not at all) he was no longer alive :( for a while though I wasn't sure if he was alive or not. His eyes look still so green and clear. Don't they go black? My other mantis's eyes went black right before he passed. Thats how I knew something had gone wrong. Rudolph looks exactly the same as he did when he was alive but in a catatonic state.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most species eyes don't go black, unless they have been dead for awhile (they will often go "dark" for evening hunting, though!)

I would do as Yen says, for future reference. Put a spoonful of fly pupae in with him (of if you have BB spikes or pupae, I would put in quite a few pupae, and quite a few spikes, so that they hatch at different times.) You can also leave some pupae out a day or two before you leave and put those in there to hatch in the next day or so.

Another tip, gleaned from "low budget" chameleon keeping...get a small jug of water (or reuse a 1/2 gallon milk jug or iddy-biddy Tampico punch jug) well-washed & rinsed, fill 3/4 with water, leave the lid off & freeze. Replace the lid, punch a SMALL hole near the bottom with a large safety pin or slit with a box knife (very small cut). Place OVER the mantid's cage so that it will drip INTO the cage as it thaws. This should last a few days, and the mantids can go a couple of days without water, as well. (They will also get some moisture from their food.) If using a net cube...highly recommended...you may want to put a large cake pan or something underneath the cage to catch drips.

You will probably want to try this a week before you leave, so that you can adjust the hole size, if necessary, and to test & see how long it lasts, whether too much water builds up in the cage, etc. (If using something solid, like a Kritter Keeper, you may want to heat up a needle & poke a few holes in the bottom, to allow water to drain.) Warning: Do NOT poke another hole in the top to increase water flow, as this will just make it POUR out! Adjust the hole size at the bottom only, so that vacuum keeps it from all coming out at once!

I hope that helps, and if someone DOES try this, I'd be curious to know the result! (I've never had to leave my babies for so long!)

Latest posts